New Zealand landslide: rescue efforts called off for six people buried in disaster | New Zealand


Efforts to rescue six people buried by a landslide at a New Zealand holiday park ended on Saturday, with police shifting into a recovery operation.

Police Supt Tim Anderson said human remains had been uncovered on Friday night beneath the mountains of dirt and debris that crashed into a campsite in Mount Maunganui on Thursday, adding that it could take several days to locate all of the victims due to the unstable ground.

Anderson said it was “heartbreaking” that six people remained unaccounted for, including a 15-year-old, after camper vans, caravans and a shower block were buried in a mudslide brought on by heavy rain.

He said it was now “highly unlikely” that more than six people had been caught under the landslide.

“There’s still a lot of mud and other aspects [around the site] so my primary consideration today is actually the safety of the staff working on it,” he said on Saturday. “There are really strict parameters around those that are working on site right now.”

The remains will be transported to a mortuary in Hamilton. Chief coroner Anna Tutton warned that the identification process could be “painful” and “lengthy”.

For the past two days, the holiday town in the northern part of the country has staged a series of vigils, holding out hope that the search and rescue personnel would be successful.

Prime minister Christopher Luxon said on Saturday “every New Zealander has been hoping for a miracle” and that the switch to a recovery operation was “the news we have all been dreading”.

“Police have confirmed fatalities at the campground and the reality that no one would have been able to survive, therefore the rescue operation taking place there is now moving to a recovery.

“To the families who have lost loved ones – every New Zealander is grieving with you.”

More poor weather is forecast for the area on Saturday with thunderstorms and hail possible, potentially hampering the recovery operation at the campsite.

New Zealand authorities are facing questions over why people were not evacuated after reports of a landslip at the campsite and neighbouring areas earlier on Thursday.

Two people died in a separate landslide on Thursday in the neighbouring harbourside city of Tauranga. One of the people killed was a Chinese national, officials said.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Heat and motion sensors are showing up under Justice Department desks. Employees say it’s ‘creepy’

    OTTAWA — The federal justice department has widened its use of heat and motion sensors installed under staff’s desks, raising further concerns from staff and a union that they could…

    Labour minister falsely linked journalists to ‘pro-Kremlin’ network in emails to GCHQ | Labour

    A Labour minister who claimed to be “surprised” and “furious” at a PR agency’s work to investigate journalists on his behalf had been personally involved in naming them to British…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    World shares, US futures advance after AI fears drag Wall Street lower

    World shares, US futures advance after AI fears drag Wall Street lower

    Heat and motion sensors are showing up under Justice Department desks. Employees say it’s ‘creepy’

    Farhan century guides Pakistan to big score against Namibia

    Farhan century guides Pakistan to big score against Namibia

    10 Riftbound Spiritforged Cards That You Should Consider Picking Up as Singles to Enhance Your Decks

    10 Riftbound Spiritforged Cards That You Should Consider Picking Up as Singles to Enhance Your Decks

    Firm underlying inflation keeps BoJ normalisation plans on track

    Feds warn First Nations people to carry passport when crossing U.S. border

    Feds warn First Nations people to carry passport when crossing U.S. border