Military mission complete in Manitoba First Nation dealing with frozen water damage – Winnipeg


The federal government says a military mission to help a northern Manitoba First Nation in the aftermath of a water crisis brought on by a power outage is complete.

A joint statement from the defence minister, the minister of Indigenous Services Canada and the minister of emergency management says all Armed Forces members deployed to Pimicikamak Cree Nation are to leave by the end of Friday.

More than 1,300 homes in Pimicikamak, about 520 kilometres north of Winnipeg, were damaged after a days-long power outage last month led to the failure of critical infrastructure.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Pipes burst, crawl spaces were filled with icy water and sewage was backed up, forcing at least 4,000 people out of the community.

After repeated calls from the chief, the military deployed on Jan. 9 a specialized team of engineers and technical experts to assess infrastructure and help community leaders with a plan to repair the damage.

Story continues below advertisement

The government statement says support for evacuees remains in place in Winnipeg, Thompson and Norway House.

Evacuees are receiving accommodation, meals, health services and financial supports until it’s safe for them to return home, the government statement said.

“We know this has been an incredibly difficult and exhausting time for all residents and families,” it said Friday.

“We will continue to work alongside (Pimicikamak Cree Nation) and all partners, listening to the community and supporting recovery every step of the way, for as long as it takes.”


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press





Source link

  • Related Posts

    Kenyan authorities used Israeli tech to crack activist’s phone, report claims | Kenya

    When Boniface Mwangi, the prominent Kenyan pro-democracy activist who plans to run for president in 2027, had his phones returned to him by Kenyan authorities after his controversial arrest last…

    The supreme court’s tariffs ruling puts Trump on notice with a bloody nose | Trump tariffs

    After an agonising year in which the US supreme court has stood aside and watched while Donald Trump has run roughshod over the constitutional separation of powers, the highest judicial…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Trump loves cheap gas—but a military conflict in Iran could nearly double your price at the pump

    Trump loves cheap gas—but a military conflict in Iran could nearly double your price at the pump

    Wikipedia blacklists Archive.today, starts removing 695,000 archive links

    Wikipedia blacklists Archive.today, starts removing 695,000 archive links

    Test Match Special Podcast – Gayle’s Gangnam style as Windies win 2012 T20

    Test Match Special Podcast – Gayle’s Gangnam style as Windies win 2012 T20

    Kenyan authorities used Israeli tech to crack activist’s phone, report claims | Kenya

    Kenyan authorities used Israeli tech to crack activist’s phone, report claims | Kenya

    In tariff case, Supreme Court justices bicker over treating Trump and Biden differently

    In tariff case, Supreme Court justices bicker over treating Trump and Biden differently

    Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladeshi prime minister | Bangladesh

    Tarique Rahman sworn in as Bangladeshi prime minister | Bangladesh