Migrants from specific regions of 13 countries – including from Gaza, Afghanistan and Somalia – would be banned from entering Australia under a leaked hardline Liberal immigration plan.
Guardian Australia understands the banned regions, outlined in the policy designed before Sussan Ley was ousted as party leader on Friday, were based on areas where listed terrorist organisations have territorial control.
The 37 specific regions under the proposed ban are in Afghanistan, Algeria, Cameroon, Egypt, Lebanon, Libya, Mali, Niger, Nigeria, Palestine, the Philippines, Somalia and Yemen.
Guardian Australia has been told the shadow immigration minister under Ley, Paul Scarr, had not proposed the country ban and raised significant concerns over it. It’s understood that specific proposal was not taken to shadow cabinet before the leadership coup, and the new opposition leader, Angus Taylor, had not seen the plan.
The Liberals’ proposal would also seek to remove as many as 100,000 asylum seekers and international students from Australia more quickly. Visa holders could have their rights to appeal immigration decisions restricted, and be blocked from consideration to move on to other visas.
Sign up: AU Breaking News email
Ley had planned to release the policy in December but it was delayed because of the Bondi terror attack. She then planned to release it on 16 February, and spend this week pressuring the government on the issue, before losing the Liberal leadership to Taylor.
It was understood to include tough vetting of social media posts and other public commentary of potential migrants, designed to weed out people with extremist views, and aimed at cutting the number of international student visas and reducing the permanent migration intake.
As of 31 January, there were 50,686 appeals to the administrative review tribunal (ART) against study‑visa decisions, refusals or cancellations. Additionally, there were more than 48,000 rejected asylum seekers who are appealing visa rejections by the home affairs department through the ART.
The ART declared that of all protection visa reviews finalised between 1 July and 31 December 2025, half were finalised within three years and six months, and 95% were finalised within five years and five months.
Taylor has outlined migration as a core priority under his leadership, using his first address in the role to declare: “Numbers have been too high and standards have been too low.”
He told journalists on Friday: “If people want to come to this country who don’t believe in democracy, don’t believe in the rule of law and don’t believe in our basic freedoms, that is a problem, and it is unacceptable.”
“The truth is that some people do not want to change in order to fit with our core values.”
One senior Liberal MP told Guardian Australia they expected Taylor to “toughen up” the party’s rhetoric on immigration and further strengthen Ley’s plan.
Ley was understood to have planned to cut permanent visas, student visas and net overseas migration numbers.
The senior Liberal told Guardian Australia that net overseas migration could be lowered to between 160,000 and 220,000. They said there was discussion in the party of whether to include a range or a specific number, so far out from the election.
That range was understood to consider work by researchers asked by the immigration department to estimate the level of net overseas migration needed to “optimise the growth rate of GDP per capita” and combat the ageing population.
The government has set the permanent migration program for 2025-26 to 185,000, while net overseas migration is expected to reach 260,000 in the same financial year. It was a significant decline from post Covid-19 levels.
It’s understood the Liberal plan also included a principle to screen and vet visa applicants entering Australia, potentially looking through social media or other public statements.
Under changes to the Migration Act brought in after the Bondi attack, powers to refuse and cancel visas if an individual has endorsed or published statements that spread hatred have been strengthened. The Liberals’ plan would go further.
The shadow immigration minister, Paul Scarr, was not expected to return to the role under Taylor’s reshuffle. It was unclear who will take the portfolio.
Taylor has been expected to announce his new-look shadow cabinet in the coming days, with the moderate Tim Wilson anticipated to be named as the shadow treasurer.








