Israeli strikes kill at least 10 and wound 24 in Lebanon, health ministry says | Lebanon


At least 10 people have been killed and 24 wounded – including three children – in Israeli strikes in Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa valley, the Lebanese health ministry has said.

Israel said it had hit “command centres” of the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah in Bekaa valley. Two security sources told Reuters that Hezbollah senior leader Hussein Yaghi was killed in the Bekaa attacks.

Hussein Yaghi is the son of former Hezbollah MP Mohamed Yaghi, and his funeral is set to take place on Saturday, according to Hezbollah media.

Local television footage from the scene of one of the strikes in the Bekaa valley showed that the targeted site appeared to be an apartment building, and emergency crews were fighting a fire and searching in the rubble for survivors.

Earlier on Friday another Israeli strike hit a Palestinian refugee camp in the port city of Sidon, killing two people.

The Israeli military said it hit a “Hamas command centre” in the Ain el-Hilweh camp. Hamas acknowledged that two of its members had been killed in the strike but called the claim that a command centre was struck a “flimsy pretext”.

It said the targeted building belonged to a joint security force made up of various Palestinian factions tasked with maintaining security in the camp.

After 7 October 2023, Hezbollah began firing rockets from Lebanon into Israel in support of Hamas and the Palestinians.

Israel responded with airstrikes and shelling. The low-level conflict escalated into full-scale war in September 2024, later reined in but not fully stopped by a US-brokered ceasefire two months later.

Since then, Israel has accused Hezbollah of trying to rebuild and has carried out near-daily strikes in Lebanon that it says target Hezbollah militants and facilities. Hezbollah has claimed one strike against Israel since the ceasefire.

The death toll from Friday’s strikes was unusually high and comes at a moment of intensified tensions in the region as the United States has threatened to strike Iran – a backer of both Hezbollah and Hamas – if negotiations over Tehran’s nuclear programme fail to produce a deal.

During last year’s Israel-Iran war, Hezbollah remained on the sidelines, but many in Lebanon fear that the country will be pulled in should another war break out.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    US citizen shot and killed by federal immigration agent last year, new records show | Trump administration

    Newly released records show a US citizen was shot and killed in Texas by a federal immigration agent last year during a late-night traffic encounter that was not publicly disclosed…

    Too hot to hold

    Christine Lagarde has pushed back against reports that she will step down from the ECB early Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Repenser les régimes fiscaux existants pour les dons politiques et caritatifs

    SCOTUS rules Trump’s tariffs are illegal — but the fight is far from over

    SCOTUS rules Trump’s tariffs are illegal — but the fight is far from over

    Brendan Mackay scores Olympic bronze in skiing halfpipe with clutch final run

    US citizen shot and killed by federal immigration agent last year, new records show | Trump administration

    US citizen shot and killed by federal immigration agent last year, new records show | Trump administration

    Choosing Bits from the Bible

    Choosing Bits from the Bible

    OpenAI Flagged Canada Suspect Eight Months Before Mass Shooting