EU May Freeze US Trade Deal Approval on Trump Tariff ‘Chaos’


The European Parliament’s trade chief will propose freezing the ratification process of the European Union’s trade deal with the US until they’ve received details from President Donald Trump’s administration on its trade policy.

Most Read from Bloomberg

Bernd Lange, chairman of the parliament’s trade committee, said he’ll propose suspending legislative work on approving the so-called Turnberry Agreement at an emergency meeting on Monday “until we have a comprehensive legal assessment and clear commitments from the US.”

“Pure customs chaos on the part of the US government,” Lange wrote on social media Sunday. “Nobody can make sense of it anymore – only unanswered questions and growing uncertainty for the EU and other US trading partners.”

The about-face in parliament comes after the US Supreme Court struck down Trump’s use of an emergency-powers law to impose his so-called reciprocal tariffs around the world. The parliamentary committee froze the approval process once before after Trump threatened to annex Greenland.

The deal struck last summer between Trump and European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen would impose a 15% tariff rate on most EU exports to the US while removing tariffs on American goods heading into the bloc. The US would also continue to impose a 50% tariff on European steel and aluminum imports.

The bloc struck the lopsided deal last summer in the hopes of avoiding a full-blown trade war and retaining US security backing, particularly with regards to Ukraine. Parliament had been aiming to ratify the agreement in March.

After Friday’s supreme court ruling, Trump said he would institute a 10% global tariff to maintain protective trade measures on the rest of the world. On Saturday, he said he would increase that rate to 15%, stirring up more economic turbulence and uncertainty about US policy.

French Foreign Minister Jean-Noel Barrot said they’re analyzing if the EU-US trade deal “is still valid.”

“One may be permitted to doubt that,” Barrot said during an interview with France Inter Sunday. “And we will take the necessary measures in response.”

Trump’s new tariffs will be based on Section 122 of the 1974 Trade Act, which allows the president to impose tariffs for 150 days without congressional approval.

Lange asked if implementing those tariffs would contravene the Turnberry deal.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Wall Street weighs stock market winners amid the AI scare trade

    Investors have shifted their appetite from tech and megacaps into sectors that have been playing “catch-up” and benefiting from AI-fueled investments. Stocks broke a two-week losing streak on Friday, but…

    Armed man shot and killed at Mar-a-Lago

    IE 11 is not supported. For an optimal experience visit our site on another browser. UP NEXT Concerns are growing over chatbots causing users to go into ‘delusional spirals’ 04:32…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Has BRICS given up on challenging Western economic dominance? | Politics

    Has BRICS given up on challenging Western economic dominance? | Politics

    The Best Smart Scales of 2026 for Measuring Body Fat, Muscle Mass and More

    The Best Smart Scales of 2026 for Measuring Body Fat, Muscle Mass and More

    Parliamentary Secretary Oliphant to attend Arctic Summit in Yukon

    Wall Street weighs stock market winners amid the AI scare trade

    Wall Street weighs stock market winners amid the AI scare trade

    U.S. beats Canada in overtime to claim Olympic gold in men’s hockey

    🚨 Milan v Parma, all set at San Siro with these line-ups

    🚨 Milan v Parma, all set at San Siro with these line-ups