Democrats say they’re escalating investigation into Gordie Howe bridge debacle


WASHINGTON — Democrats are demanding correspondence between a billionaire bridge owner and U.S. Commerce Secretary Howard Lutnick as part of their investigation into President Donald Trump’s threat to stall the opening of the Gordie Howe Internaitonal Bridge.

“President Trump’s wealthy donors should not be holding secret meetings with administration officials to influence economic and foreign policies that have real impacts on the American people,” Rep. Robert Garcia, the top Democrat on the House oversight committee, said in a Wednesday news release.

House Democrats first launched the probe last week after Trump made a post on social media insisting the United States must be compensated before he’ll allow the Gordie Howe bridge to open.

The New York Times later reported the post came after Lutnick met with Matthew Moroun, whose family owns the competing Ambassador Bridge.

In a letter to Moroun dated Wednesday, Democrats wrote “it appears that you may have used your influence as a donor to President Donald Trump to jeopardize American commerce to protect your company’s bottom line.”

“It is flatly unacceptable and undeniably corrupt for a wealthy donor to dictate our foreign and economic policy in order to protect their own personal business interests,” the letter said.

They said Moroun must hand over all documents and communications relating to the meeting with Lutnick, including messages or texts with the White House and members of the Trump administration.

Democrats also demanded all records around donations or payments from the Moroun family to the Trump campaign, associated political action committees and the Republican party.

“For decades, the Moroun family have used their money and influence to enrich themselves at the expense of our neighbours in working class communities in Detroit,” Rashida Tlaib, a representative for Michigan, said in the news release.

The Gordie Howe bridge, which will connect Ontario to Michigan, has for decades faced massive pushback from the Moroun family, which has long been a major Republican donor.

To have the bridge project move ahead, Canada signed a 2012 deal with Rick Snyder, the Republican governor at the time, in which Canada agreed to shoulder the cost of construction, which it would recoup through tolls. The ownership is shared between Michigan and the Government of Canada.

Trump himself endorsed the bridge project during his first term.

Democrats had already requested all of the commerce secretary’s communications with the Moroun family and the Trump administration regarding to the Gordie Howe and Ambassador bridges.

They also requested all communications with the Moroun family about Prime Minister Mark Carney, as well as other communications from the Trump administration.

Carney said he spoke with Trump after the social media post and he expects the situation to be resolved.

The president’s threat to stall the project was a shock for many Michiganders, who were expecting the bridge to open later this year.

In a letter to Trump last week, eight Democrat senators reiterated the importance of opening the Gordie Howe bridge, saying it was critical conduit of international commerce.

“We implore you to work with the Canadian government, including Prime Minister Carney, to address our ongoing trade relationship as a separate issue, for which we stand ready to assist,” the letter said.

“But as these discussions move forward, it is essential that the Gordie Howe International Bridge open as planned later this year.”

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Feb. 18, 2026.

Kelly Geraldine Malone, The Canadian Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Bhangu makes 11 running for the leadership of the B.C. Conservative Party

    LANGLEY — Harman Bhangu, the member of the legislature for Langley-Abbotsford, has announced he’s running to become leader of the British Columbia Conservative Party. Bhangu becomes the 11th person to…

    New report says youth should help guide Ottawa’s campaign against online exploitation

    OTTAWA — The federal government should listen to young people as it takes on the problem of online harms, a group of youth advocates told reporters on Parliament Hill Wednesday.…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Notable quotes from the 2026 Winter Olympics – National

    Notable quotes from the 2026 Winter Olympics – National

    Ring and Kidde’s Newest Smoke Detector Is Here, and It’s Battery Powered (2026)

    Ring and Kidde’s Newest Smoke Detector Is Here, and It’s Battery Powered (2026)

    Pokémon hotel allows guests to stay there without clothes, but not like that

    Pokémon hotel allows guests to stay there without clothes, but not like that

    Who’s afraid of the big bad trade deficit?

    Who’s afraid of the big bad trade deficit?

    Nvidia, Wall Street's biggest stock, leads the market higher

    Nvidia, Wall Street's biggest stock, leads the market higher

    Fantasy Baseball Spring Training: Key Injuries, Closers and Early Draft Takeaways

    Fantasy Baseball Spring Training: Key Injuries, Closers and Early Draft Takeaways