At least five people killed in string of avalanches in Austria | Austria


At least five people have been killed in a string of avalanches in Austria, authorities said on Saturday.

The government office of the Tirol region said intense snowfall over the last week led to accumulations of up to 1.5 meters (5ft). Combined with windy conditions and weak snowpack below, the conditions were especially susceptible to avalanches, it said.

Tirol police said five off-piste skiers were caught up in a nearly 450 meter-wide avalanche Friday afternoon in the St Anton am Arlberg area at an altitude of about 2,000 meters (about 6,500ft).

An American and a Pole were among the five recovered dead after the avalanche, and a 21-year-old Austrian died of injuries after being taken to hospital, police said.

Dozens of mountain-rescue team members, ambulance and fire department staffers, as well as several dog squads, were deployed for the operation.

Late Friday morning in the Nauders-Bergkastel resort to the south-east, a 42-year-old German man and his 16-year-old son were caught in an avalanche. The teen survived with injuries and called for help, but his father was killed.

In Klösterle in the neighbouring Vorarlberg region, a 39-year-old Swiss snowboarder was caught and killed by an avalanche in an off-piste area, regional police said.

“The recent snowfall is currently drawing many people to the mountains – even off-piste,” Tirol’s governor, Anton Mattle, said in a statement. “It is painful that we have already had to record several avalanches with injuries and fatalities.”

His office said nearly three dozen avalanche incidents were reported on Friday, among more than 200 over the last week. So far, 11 people have lost their lives in avalanches this month, the governor’s office said.

“No relief is in sight for Sunday either,” the region office said. “The weather remains turbulent.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Police responder to 2017 London Bridge attack sacked for ‘derogatory’ language | Police

    A police officer who was one of the first on the scene of the 2017 London Bridge terror attack has been sacked for gross misconduct after using “derogatory” language about…

    Former ‘American Idol’ contestant charged with murder, staging crime scene in wife’s slaying in Ohio

    State AlabamaAlaskaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWashington D.C.West VirginiaWisconsinWyomingPuerto RicoUS Virgin IslandsArmed Forces AmericasArmed Forces PacificArmed Forces EuropeNorthern Mariana IslandsMarshall IslandsAmerican SamoaFederated States of MicronesiaGuamPalauAlberta, CanadaBritish…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US military airlifts small reactor as Trump pushes to quickly deploy nuclear power

    US military airlifts small reactor as Trump pushes to quickly deploy nuclear power

    This musical RPG is doing important work by letting you beat up music snobs, but I really stuck around for the painful (brilliant) puns

    This musical RPG is doing important work by letting you beat up music snobs, but I really stuck around for the painful (brilliant) puns

    Milliner Stephen Jones’ Fall 2026 Collection Melds Fantasy and Reality

    Milliner Stephen Jones’ Fall 2026 Collection Melds Fantasy and Reality

    Police responder to 2017 London Bridge attack sacked for ‘derogatory’ language | Police

    Police responder to 2017 London Bridge attack sacked for ‘derogatory’ language | Police

    It’s outright war for the Iron Throne in House of the Dragon S3 teaser

    It’s outright war for the Iron Throne in House of the Dragon S3 teaser

    Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights opener abandoned at T20 World Cup | ICC Men’s T20 World Cup News

    Pakistan-New Zealand Super Eights opener abandoned at T20 World Cup | ICC Men’s T20 World Cup News