Indonesia earthquake: Aid shortages and fears of starvation as aftershocks continue


Early data from Indonesia’s National Disaster Management Agency indicates that more than 1,000 houses were damaged by the earthquake, along with dozens of health facilities, schools and government offices.

Medical teams are still working to determine the number of casualties, though – and the full scale of the disaster is still being uncovered.

Indonesia is prone to earthquakes and volcanic activity, lying along the meeting point of three major tectonic plates.

In Flores’ westernmost town of Labuan Bajo, the gateway to Komodo National Park and one of Indonesia’s most popular tourist destinations, many survivors have been sleeping outdoors, fearful that if the tremors continue they might be crushed in their sleep.

“The shaking was very scary. My house almost collapsed,” said one farmer named Anastasia Imad, from a green emergency tent erected next to her damaged home. “We were worried that the aftershocks would collapse the house while we were sleeping.”

Herry Kabut, editor-in-chief of local publication Floresa Media, told the BBC that “each resident has set up their own evacuation post” amid blackouts, landslides and roadblocks.

“So far, many basic necessities such as [basic foodstuffs] and clean water are in great demand,” he said. “People have no idea where to evacuate. There’s been no government advice. Many have fled to the hills and are starving.”

Health services across the island have similarly been forced to move outside and set up emergency tents due to damaged facilities. Ruteng Regional General Hospital’s operating room, delivery room, pharmacy, and laboratory were all rendered defunct after the building’s roof collapsed.

Elsewhere, in Ngada Regency, local resident Charles Abar told the BBC that health facilities and equipment had been severely damaged and that, as of Sunday night, no medical assistance had arrived.

He believes the government’s response hasn’t been swift enough.

“I think facilities like emergency tents need to be provided immediately, but I also see that district and regional governments are struggling due to budget constraints, limited supplies, and so on,” he said.

Meanwhile, he added, villages have been cut off from aid and displaced people whose homes were damaged or destroyed have been forced to seek higher ground, as hundreds of aftershocks continue to rattle the island.

“The community is still traumatised,” he stressed.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Donald Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it ‘gets in the way’ of ending Iran war | US-Israel war on Iran

    Donald Trump has again threatened to bomb Oman if it “gets in the way” of his effort to end the US-Israel war on Iran. “If Oman gets in the way,…

    Niu Lai: Movie that went viral for terrible animation becomes China box office hit

    It’s so bad, it’s become a box office hit. Niu Lai, a low-budget animation film about a cow in a dream sequence has seen a huge jump in ticket sales…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Bill Belichick gives update on UNC amid Michael Lombardi, Steve Belichick absences

    Bill Belichick gives update on UNC amid Michael Lombardi, Steve Belichick absences

    Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country's worst with over 2,300 dead

    Congo’s fast-moving Ebola outbreak becomes the country's worst with over 2,300 dead

    Islamophobia’s Rise in Texas: ‘I Won’t Rest Until Every Muslim Is Gone’

    Islamophobia’s Rise in Texas: ‘I Won’t Rest Until Every Muslim Is Gone’

    The Best Rolling Totes and Carts for Schlepping

    The Best Rolling Totes and Carts for Schlepping

    Satellite operators are in panic mode due to a worsening launch crisis

    Satellite operators are in panic mode due to a worsening launch crisis

    Spider-Man is looking exceptionally strong in Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls

    Spider-Man is looking exceptionally strong in Marvel Tōkon: Fighting Souls