North Carolina police arrest suspect in nearly 20-year-old double killing at a beverage distribution company


North Carolina police have arrested a suspect in the killing of two people during an alleged robbery at a beverage distribution company nearly 20 years ago.

Johnny Steven Talbert, a 43-year-old from Port Angeles, Washington, was arrested by local police Thursday, just hours after the Concord Police Department obtained a warrant, according to a news release.

He was charged with two counts of first-degree murder and one count of robbery with a firearm in connection with the 2008 killings at the Sun Drop Bottling Co. in Concord. The company distributes drinks, including citrus Sun Drop beverages and Snapple.

On the morning of June 13, 2008, Concord police responded to the beverage distribution center at 360 Old-Salisbury Concord Road after a suspect allegedly opened fire, killing 59-year-old Donna Barnhardt and 44-year-old Darrell Noles, police said. Barnhardt was the company’s office manager, while Noles was there applying for work.

The suspect had also stolen money from the office before fleeing the scene, according to police.

The years that followed included investigators looking into “hundreds of tips from the community,” but the case remained cold until 2025.

“Through a meticulous reexamination of evidence and the pursuit of previously undeveloped leads, detectives uncovered critical information that ultimately led to Talbert’s arrest,” Concord police said in the press release.

The North Carolina Police Department contacted the Port Angeles Police Department in December, and detectives eventually traveled to the Northwestern state May 18 “for further investigation,” according to police.

Talbert was arrested three days later and taken into custody without incident, police said. He is awaiting extradition to North Carolina, where he will face his charges.

“Concord PD would like to thank the Port Angeles Police Department and the community for their assistance throughout the decades-long investigation,” police said in a statement. “The families of Donna Barnhardt and Darrell Noles have been informed of Talbert’s arrest and the pending charges.”

Port Angeles police did not immediately respond to NBC News’ request for comment.

The investigation into the 2008 killings is ongoing and Concord police are asking anyone with information to get in touch.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Iran’s president says US memorandum is best path out of stalled war, and other Middle East news

    Iran’s president defended a memorandum of understanding with the United States as the best way out of a stalled war. Meanwhile, the new head of the Islamic Republic’s top security…

    Why renting is winning has the housing market takes notes from K-shaped economy

    Yahoo Finance Housing Reporter Claire Boston joins Market Domination Overtime to break down how the K-shaped economy is reshaping the housing market. Homes priced above $1 million continue to move,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Grand Theft Auto VI exists in its own universe

    Grand Theft Auto VI exists in its own universe

    Minister Anand meets with Germany’s Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs 

    Minister Anand meets with Germany’s Federal Minister for Foreign Affairs 

    Iran’s president says US memorandum is best path out of stalled war, and other Middle East news

    Iran’s president says US memorandum is best path out of stalled war, and other Middle East news

    America’s Desert Metropolis Is on the Short List to Lose Water

    America’s Desert Metropolis Is on the Short List to Lose Water

    Double Fine Returns To Kickstarter Post-Xbox, Announces New Game Jam

    Double Fine Returns To Kickstarter Post-Xbox, Announces New Game Jam

    Volcanoes that made history – Ars Technica

    Volcanoes that made history – Ars Technica