Statement by Minister Joly one year after Azerbaijan’s military operation in the Nagorno-Karabakh region


September 22, 2024 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada

The Honourable Mélanie Joly, Minister of Foreign Affairs, today issued the following statement:

“Last week marked one year since Azerbaijan launched its military operation in Nagorno-Karabakh, a region populated by ethnic Armenians for centuries.

“The consequences of this operation were significant: More than 100,000 civilians, including 30,000 children, were forcibly displaced to Armenia as a result of this military operation, causing a rapid increase in humanitarian need in the country.

“The unjustified military operation by Azerbaijan followed a nine-month blockade of humanitarian goods to the Lachin corridor, in violation of the International Court of Justice provisional measures orders.  

“Canada stands in solidarity with the people affected by this crisis and is grateful to Armenia for opening its doors. That is why, in 2023, we dedicated more than $3.9 million in humanitarian assistance to address urgent needs stemming from the situation in Nagorno-Karabakh.

“Canada continues to call for, and support, meaningful negotiations toward a comprehensive peace treaty between Armenia and Azerbaijan, and the continuation of dialogue and confidence-building measures between the parties for a just and durable peace for the people of this region.

“Canada has repeatedly called for the unconditional release of all Armenian prisoners of war from the 2020 Karabakh war. We also continue to call for the release of all arbitrarily detained ethnic Armenians from Azerbaijan.  

“Canada supports a negotiated political solution to the Nagorno-Karabakh issue and promotes the principles of non-use of force, the respect of the territorial integrity and the right for self-determination in the negotiation of a just and durable peace for the people of this region. This should entail a safe and dignified right of return of Armenian civilians, guarantees for the protection of human rights and civic livelihoods, and the preservation of Armenian cultural and historical sites in the territory.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Minister Hussen to make an important announcement related to global polio eradication

    September 19, 2024 – The Honourable Ahmed Hussen, Minister of International Development, will be delivering remarks and announcing Canada’s continued funding for supporting the Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI). Following…

    Canada announces new support for global polio eradication efforts

    September 20, 2024 – Ottawa, Ontario – Global Affairs Canada The world is on the verge of eradicating polio, but humanitarian crises, overstretched health systems and the aftershocks of the…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Iran War Live Updates: U.S. and Iran Signal Move Toward Initial Peace Deal, but Details Remain Murky

    Iran War Live Updates: U.S. and Iran Signal Move Toward Initial Peace Deal, but Details Remain Murky

    Outgoing Gov. Gen. says criticisms levelled against her French abilities were unfair

    Outgoing Gov. Gen. says criticisms levelled against her French abilities were unfair

    Why Victor Wembanyama’s most dominant skill remains a mystery

    Why Victor Wembanyama’s most dominant skill remains a mystery

    Hackers are learning to exploit chatbot ‘personalities’

    Hackers are learning to exploit chatbot ‘personalities’

    Kyle Busch died of "severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis," family says

    Kyle Busch died of  "severe pneumonia that progressed into sepsis," family says

    Space Marine 2 gets a steep discount, a free trial and an update that adds a ‘major revamp’ of Siege Mode, as its multiplayer continues to outpace games like Marathon

    Space Marine 2 gets a steep discount, a free trial and an update that adds a ‘major revamp’ of Siege Mode, as its multiplayer continues to outpace games like Marathon