Trump says U.S. is “getting a lot closer” to agreement with Iran


President Trump told CBS News that negotiators for United States and Iran are “getting a lot closer” to finalizing an agreement between the two countries. 

Sources familiar with the negotiations told CBS News that the latest proposal includes a process to reopen the Strait of Hormuz, the unfreezing of some Iranian assets held in foreign banks, and a continuation of negotiations. 

Mr. Trump declined to provide specifics about the agreement, but said that “every day it gets better and better.” 

“I can’t tell you before I tell them, right?” Mr. Trump told CBS News in a phone interview. 

Mr. Trump did say that he believes the final agreement will prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon, adding that he “wouldn’t even be talking about it” otherwise. Mr. Trump added that the agreement would also result in Iran’s enriched uranium being “satisfactorily handled.” 

“I will only sign a deal where we get everything we want,” he said. 

Sources told CBS News that Mr. Trump is still mulling proposals and has not made up his mind yet. The sources said he is consulting with advisers and talking to foreign leaders.

Mr. Trump spoke by phone with leaders of Gulf countries and other nations on Saturday afternoon, U.S. officials familiar with the situation said. Counties invited to join the conference call with Mr. Trump to discuss Iran negotiations include Saudi Arabia, Turkey, Egypt, Pakistan, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, and Qatar, according to sources. One regional official told CBS News that some of the leaders don’t know what option Mr. Trump is leaning toward.

Mr. Trump said that if the U.S. and Iran do not come to an agreement, “we’re going to have a situation where no country will ever be hit as hard as they’re about to be hit.” 

Mr. Trump has previously threatened Iran, saying before the start of a ceasefire that began in April that “a whole civilization will die” without a deal, and recently warning the country that “the Clock is Ticking.”

Secretary of State Marco Rubio also said Saturday that there “may be news later today” about where negotiations between Iran and the U.S. stand. 

“There’s been some progress done, some progress made, even as I speak to you now, there’s some work being done,” Rubio said, ahead of a formal dinner at the U.S. Embassy in New Delhi, India. “There is a chance that, whether it’s later today, tomorrow, in a couple days, we may have something to say, but this issue needs to be solved, as the president said, one way or another.” 



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Trump says Ed Martin, pardon attorney, is departing DOJ

    President Donald Trump announced Friday that Ed Martin, pardon attorney at the Department of Justice, is leaving his post. “Ed is now leaving to go outside to fight Legal Battles…

    Pentagon moves to fire publisher and editor of Stars and Stripes

    Washington — The Pentagon on Friday moved to fire the publisher and the editor in chief of Stars and Stripes, the U.S. military news outlet partly funded by American taxpayers,…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    The Chic Shorts Color Hailey Bieber and It Girls Are Wearing

    The Chic Shorts Color Hailey Bieber and It Girls Are Wearing

    Give a little, get a deal?

    Give a little, get a deal?

    Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for 3 days

    Trump pauses 50% tariffs on Canadian goods for 3 days

    Trump says Ed Martin, pardon attorney, is departing DOJ

    Trump says Ed Martin, pardon attorney, is departing DOJ

    Take-Two Subpoenas Discord And Microsoft In Hunt For GTA VI Leaker

    Take-Two Subpoenas Discord And Microsoft In Hunt For GTA VI Leaker

    County Championship: Olly Stone takes 6-44 as Notts rock Surrey

    County Championship: Olly Stone takes 6-44 as Notts rock Surrey