Travel industry worries after Trump administration reiterates threat to sanctuary city airports


The travel industry is on edge after Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin reiterated his threat to withdraw U.S. Customs and Border Protection officers from airports in so-called “sanctuary cities” in a move that could jeopardize international flights.

The U.S. Travel Association said that Mullin confirmed he is considering withdrawing CPB officers in a meeting where the trade group was pressing its concerns about other proposals the Trump administration is considering that could hamper travel. U.S. Travel and the major airlines quickly condemned the idea, and even Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy said it doesn’t make sense to him.

“U.S. Travel believes such a move would have devastating consequences for the travel industry and communities that depend on international visitation,” the industry group said Friday in a statement.

Details of the meeting were first reported by The Atlantic.

Duffy told a Congressional hearing earlier this week that he wasn’t familiar with Mullin’s remarks, and he’d like to learn more about the context and maybe ask Mullin a question about what he meant. But Duffy said it would be a bad idea to start restricting travel based on political views. After all, at some point Democrats will be in charge and “you will all switch spots at one point — hopefully not too soon Mr. Chairman,” Duffy said.

“We have people from around the world and around the country that need to be able to fly into all different kinds of places. We shouldn’t shut down air travel in a state that doesn’t agree with our politics,” Duffy said.

So it’s not clear how much support this idea has within the administration, though President Donald Trump has previously threatened to withhold funding from sanctuary cities.

There is no strict definition for sanctuary policies or sanctuary cities, but the terms generally describe limited cooperation with Immigration and Customs Enforcement. And courts have rejected the idea of pulling funding from them in the past.

In Trump’s first term in office, in 2017, courts struck down his effort to cut funding to the cities.

It’s not clear exactly which cities and airports Mullin might target, but the Justice Department last year published a list of three dozen states, cities and counties that it considers to be sanctuary jurisdictions.

The Airlines for America trade group was quick to say the idea would hurt the economy and disrupt travel.

“Reducing CBP staffing at major airports would have a devastating effect on the airline and tourism industries, causing a significant operational disruption to carriers, travelers and the flow of international cargo.”

Josh Funk And Rio Yamat, The Associated Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    THE CAREGIVERS’ LIVING ROOM A Blog by Donna Thomson: The Two Places I Couldn’t Be

    Hello fellow caregivers! Occasionally I receive a request for a guest post that stops me in my tracks and this is one. It’s from a caregiver who is also an…

    Address by Minister Joly at the General Debate of the 79th Session of the United Nations General Assembly

    September 30, 2024 – New York City, New York Check against delivery. This speech has been translated in accordance with the Government of Canada’s official languages policy and edited for…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo

    Red Cross volunteers die from suspected Ebola in DR Congo

    India and Canada will hold talks on a proposed free trade agreement

    Leinster 19-41 Bordeaux-Begles: ‘Too high a mountain’ as Leinster’s wait goes on

    Leinster 19-41 Bordeaux-Begles: ‘Too high a mountain’ as Leinster’s wait goes on

    The FBI Wants ‘Near Real-Time’ Access to US License Plate Readers

    THE CAREGIVERS’ LIVING ROOM A Blog by Donna Thomson: The Two Places I Couldn’t Be

    THE CAREGIVERS’ LIVING ROOM A Blog by Donna Thomson: The Two Places I Couldn’t Be

    Toronto police seek 4 suspects in connection with armed robbery of $1M in jewels – Toronto

    Toronto police seek 4 suspects in connection with armed robbery of $1M in jewels – Toronto