Estranged husband convicted of murder-for-hire in killing of New York City art dealer in Brazil


The estranged husband of a prominent New York City art dealer was convicted Friday of hiring a hitman to kill him in Brazil.

Daniel Sikkema, 55, faces a mandatory sentence of life in prison. Brent Sikkema, 75, was found stabbed to death in his Rio de Janeiro townhouse in January 2024.

Daniel Sikkema, a U.S. and Cuban citizen who lived in New York, was arrested in April 2024. He was convicted in federal court in Manhattan of charges including murder-for-hire conspiracy resulting in death.

The alleged hitman was arrested in Brazil, where he remains jailed.

“Amid contentious divorce proceedings with his then-husband, Daniel Sikkema used a burner phone line to callously order the killing of his husband,” Manhattan U.S. Attorney Jay Clayton said.

Brent Sikkema.
Brent Sikkema in New York City in 2007.Will Ragozzino / Patrick McMullan via Getty Images

Clayton described Brent Sikkema’s killing as a “senseless, cold-blooded murder” and said the verdict brings a “meaningful measure of justice.”

Daniel Sikkema’s lawyer, Florian Miedel, said they were disappointed in the verdict and plan to appeal.

“Daniel is staying strong and hopes to be vindicated in the end,” Miedel said.

Brent Sikkema had amassed a multimillion-dollar estate and owned a Manhattan contemporary art gallery that became Sikkema Malloy Jenkins, which says on its website that it has represented international artists like Kara Walker, Vik Muniz and Arturo Herrera for nearly 30 years.

Daniel Sikkema was in frequent contact with the alleged hitman before and after the killing, prosecutors said.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Nicholas Pavlis told the jury in an opening statement that Daniel Sikkema had funneled over $10,000 to the man and promised him more money.

At the same time, Pavlis said, Daniel Sikkema bragged to others that he was going to get more money from his spouse’s death than he would have gotten from a divorce. He and Brent Sikkema had a teenage son.

“After his husband was brutally killed, the defendant tried to cover his tracks and cash in,” Pavlis said.

Miedel told the jury in an opening statement that case was built on circumstantial evidence and that there was no evidence to prove the guilt of his client.

“Life is messy. The truth is not always obvious,” Miedel said.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    US Reaches Limit of Sanctions Power in Targeting Iran’s Economy

    So far, though, the actions largely resembled the previous strategy, and with the same effect: Iran has broadly held out against US demands despite facing a steadily growing arsenal of…

    Kyle Busch died of severe pneumonia, family says

    NASCAR legend Kyle Busch died of severe pneumonia, his family revealed on Saturday. Subscribe to read this story ad-free Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content. The 41-year-old…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    DeepSeek Permanently Reduces The Price Of Its Flagship V4 Model By 75 Percent

    DeepSeek Permanently Reduces The Price Of Its Flagship V4 Model By 75 Percent

    Minister Ng welcomes the CETA Mutual Recognition Agreement for Architects

    US Reaches Limit of Sanctions Power in Targeting Iran’s Economy

    GLA considering investigation into Zack Polanski over houseboat council tax | Zack Polanski

    GLA considering investigation into Zack Polanski over houseboat council tax | Zack Polanski

    Federal judge dismisses human smuggling case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

    Federal judge dismisses human smuggling case against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

    Israeli Strikes Pummel Lebanon, Killing Medics Amid Fragile Truce

    Israeli Strikes Pummel Lebanon, Killing Medics Amid Fragile Truce