First responders exposed to fentanyl in deadly New Mexico incident, officials said


First responders were exposed to fentanyl and sickened after arriving at a rural New Mexico home Wednesday to investigate a possible overdose that left three people dead, officials said Friday.

Four people were found unconscious at a home in Mountainair, east of Albuquerque and two were declared dead at the scene, officials said.

A third died enroute to the University of New Mexico Hospital, officials said.

The fourth survived. Both the survivor and one of the deceased had been administered the overdose medication Narcan.

More than a dozen first responders were quarantined following the call after exposure to an unknown substance, with some reporting nausea and dizziness, officials said.

“Preliminary findings indicate this incident is tied to the exposure to a powdered opioid substance within the home and on scene DEA laboratory analysis has confirmed the presence of fentanyl, methamphetamine, and para-fluorofentanyl, also called P4 fentanyl. It’s a more illicit form or version of fentanyl,” New Mexico State Police Chief Matt Broom told reporters.

The fentanyl was in powder form, police said.

“These men and women responded to a dangerous situation while working to protect lives and secure the scene,” Broom said. “We especially recognize the first responders who became sick while carrying out their duties.”

Mountainair EMS Chief Josh Lewis was among those exposed. Mayor Peter Nieto had previously said Lewis was likely the hardest hit.

“He’s one of the first that went into the residence,” Nieto said. “That’s what we’re thinking — he was the one that got the most of it.”

Five dogs from the home were also placed in quarantine at Mountainair Animal Control.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    This TSX stock was a top gainer but analysts remain cautious

    RBC Capital Markets hosted investors and 38 Canadian companies at a three-day conference in Toronto starting May 19 that focused on key issues including tariff and trade policy uncertainty, infrastructure…

    California woman dead in murder-suicide may have given thousands to a scammer claiming to be Tom Selleck

    An elderly California couple found dead in a suspected murder-suicide had recently been scammed by someone posing as actor Tom Selleck, a longtime friend said. Subscribe to read this story…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Israeli blockade traps would-be Hajj pilgrim in Gaza | Religion

    Israeli blockade traps would-be Hajj pilgrim in Gaza | Religion

    Ex-prosecutor and other Trump critics sue to block payouts from $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund

    Ex-prosecutor and other Trump critics sue to block payouts from $1.8B ‘anti-weaponization’ fund

    This TSX stock was a top gainer but analysts remain cautious

    Wes Streeting insists he can win Labour leadership race despite ‘underdog’ status | Wes Streeting

    Wes Streeting insists he can win Labour leadership race despite ‘underdog’ status | Wes Streeting

    Pentagon releases more UFO files: “Speechless after these observations”

    Pentagon releases more UFO files: “Speechless after these observations”

    Farmers, conservationists and rural communities are uniting to protest high-speed rail