One of Meta’s big legal reckonings just ended in a settlement


After back-to-back losses in trials grappling with its impact on teens’ mental health, Meta just settled what was supposed to be its next legal battle with Kentucky’s Breathitt County School District. Google’s YouTube, Snap, and TikTok all recently settled similar claims brought by the school district, which was seeking payment from the companies to cover the cost of combatting social media-related mental health harms.

The trial had been set to begin in June as the first bellwether trial of the federal multidistrict litigation (MDL) cases, which include claims from school districts, state attorneys general, and individuals against the social media platforms. It’s similar to the group of cases making their way through a California state court in Los Angeles, where the first bellwether case in that group was recently held. The idea is that trying a sampling of cases before juries will inform settlement negotiations for the broader bucket of remaining cases.

The terms of the settlement with Breathitt County School District were not disclosed, but plaintiffs’ attorneys Lexi Hazam, Previn Warren, Chris Seeger and Ronald Johnson said in a statement, “our focus remains on pursuing justice for the remaining 1,200 school districts who have filed cases.”

“We’ve resolved this case amicably and remain focused on our longstanding work to build protections like Teen Accounts that help teens stay safe online, while giving parents simple controls to support their families,“ Meta spokesperson Andy Stone said in a statement. YouTube spokesperson José Castañeda said the school district’s claims against the company were amicably resolved and our focus remains on building age-appropriate products and parental controls that deliver on that promise.” Snap spokesperson Monique Bellamy similarly said they were “pleased” to resolve the case “in an amicable manner.” TikTok did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

The next case on deck dealing with social media addiction and youth mental health claims is expected to begin in the Los Angeles state court in July. The next federal bellwether case is slated for January.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Meta Is in Crisis, Google Search’s Makeover, and AI Gets Booed by Graduates

    Leah Feiger: Let’s invest. Zoë Schiffer: They have that going for a while. Leah Feiger: It wasn’t full Google, but it— Zoë Schiffer: Somewhat there. Leah Feiger: —had that vibe.…

    Spotify and Universal Music strike deal allowing fan-made AI covers and remixes

    Watch out, Suno. Spotify on Thursday announced it has partnered with Universal Music Group (UMG) to allow fans to use generative AI technology to create covers and remixes of their…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    A resident of Ontario is being tested for Ebola after travel. Here is what you need to know about the deadly virus

    A resident of Ontario is being tested for Ebola after travel. Here is what you need to know about the deadly virus

    American Express Gold vs. Amex Business Gold showdown

    American Express Gold vs. Amex Business Gold showdown

    The biggest lesson from Trump’s retribution campaign: From the Politics Desk

    The biggest lesson from Trump’s retribution campaign: From the Politics Desk

    Flower Fans Gather in Chelsea for the Greenest Show on Earth

    Flower Fans Gather in Chelsea for the Greenest Show on Earth

    Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr | Football News

    Ronaldo scores twice to seal Saudi Pro League at last with Al-Nassr | Football News

    Statement by Minister Joly on violence in Haiti

    Statement by Minister Joly on violence in Haiti