Mom who drowned 3 kids on Coney Island beach sentenced to 20 years to life


NEW YORK — A Brooklyn woman was sentenced to 20 years to life in prison on Wednesday for drowning her three young children in the ocean near Coney Island’s famed boardwalk.

Erin Merdy, 34, pleaded guilty earlier this year to first-degree murder charges in the 2022 killing of her 7-year-old son Zachary, her 4-year-old daughter Liliana and her 3-month-old son Oliver.

“No sentence can fully measure the loss of a seven-year-old, a four-year-old and a three-month-old baby, or the grief their loved ones will carry forever,” Brooklyn District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said in a statement. He added that the children’s lives were taken “in the most heartbreaking and unthinkable way.”

A message left with Merdy’s attorney was not returned.

The frantic search for the three children began in the early hours of Sept. 12, 2022, after New York City police received a call from Merdy’s relatives, concerned that she intended to harm her kids.

Officers first found the mother, barefoot and soaking wet, 2 miles (3 kilometers) down the boardwalk from the section of Coney Island where she lived. She repeatedly said that the children were gone and that she was sorry, according to prosecutors.

Hours later, the bodies of the children were recovered from the shoreline of the Atlantic Ocean, steps from the boardwalk and about a dozen blocks from the stadium where the Brooklyn Cyclones minor league baseball team plays.

The city medical examiner’s office ruled their deaths homicides by drowning.

The evidence against Merdy included video showing her walking toward the ocean with the children just before 1 a.m., according to the criminal complaint.

At the time, relatives said she may have been going through postpartum depression.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    WATCH: Mango founder's son investigated for murder after hiking death

    Billionaire Isak Andic died after a 300-foot fall while hiking in Spain. His son is out on bail and under suspicion of murder, ABC News’ Rhiannon Ally reports. Source link

    DOJ veterans fear criminal probe into ex-CIA Director John Brennan is being stacked with Trump loyalists

    Law enforcement veterans are expressing deep concerns that the Trump Justice Department’s criminal investigation into former CIA Director John Brennan is being systematically stacked with politically motivated personnel who are…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Kansas City Has Bought More Than 4,500 MacBook Neos For Its Students

    Kansas City Has Bought More Than 4,500 MacBook Neos For Its Students

    Honestly? We botched it” – Kickstarter apologises for its criticised adult content rules, and for betraying its “f*ck the establishment spirit

    Honestly? We botched it” – Kickstarter apologises for its criticised adult content rules, and for betraying its “f*ck the establishment spirit

    Simple Vacation Nails Are In for 2026—16 Ideas for Your Next Beachy Getaway

    Simple Vacation Nails Are In for 2026—16 Ideas for Your Next Beachy Getaway

    Ex-DoJ prosecutor charged with sending sealed Jack Smith Trump report to personal email | US politics

    Ex-DoJ prosecutor charged with sending sealed Jack Smith Trump report to personal email | US politics

    Senate’s handling of energy efficiency bill slowing plans to introduce consumer rebates, says government source

    Senate’s handling of energy efficiency bill slowing plans to introduce consumer rebates, says government source

    Fairy Creek anti-logging protesters win appeal in bid for class-action certification

    Fairy Creek anti-logging protesters win appeal in bid for class-action certification