Canadian mining company Sherritt International halts plans to dissolve Cuba business amid sanctions


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

Sherritt International Corp. says it is no longer pursuing a plan to dissolve its Cuban joint venture, reversing a decision it announced last week as the U.S. expands sanctions on the country.

The Trump administration has laid siege to Cuba since January, enforcing a de facto ​fuel blockade, issuing threats of military action ​and ramping up sanctions that have forced foreign businesses, including Sherritt, to flee.

The Canadian mining company says it has been presented on a preliminary basis with “a potential value preserving opportunity” that it is evaluating.

Sherritt and the General Nickel Co. S.A. of Cuba each hold a 50 per cent interest in the Moa joint venture, which mines nickel in Cuba that is shipped to Canada where it is refined. The venture is a key source of Cuba’s ⁠foreign exchange.

The company says it stopped the dissolution plan after consultations with its advisers, stakeholders and relevant governmental authorities.

The company is maintaining its suspension of direct participation in joint venture activities in Cuba after the U.S. ramped up pressure on the Caribbean country.

Sherritt says it still faces a number of acute operational, financial and legal difficulties including the ability to comply with its debt covenants as it works to address the expanded sanctions.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Orca Energy Group Provides Update on Management Cease Trade Order and Further Filing Delay

    This news release contains certain forward-looking information (collectively, “forward-looking information“) within the meaning of applicable securities legislation. All information, other than historical fact included in this news release, which address…

    American doctor with Ebola evacuated to Germany as wife and four children are monitored in Congo

    By the time the American surgeon who contracted Ebola in the Democratic Republic of Congo was flown to Germany for treatment on Tuesday, he was barely able to stand on…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    How MLS Cup champion Dejan Joveljic uses chess to dominate defenders

    How MLS Cup champion Dejan Joveljic uses chess to dominate defenders

    Firm finds LA county officials did not discriminate in response to Eaton fire | Los Angeles

    Firm finds LA county officials did not discriminate in response to Eaton fire | Los Angeles

    Android XR Is Finally Starting To Feel Real

    Android XR Is Finally Starting To Feel Real

    Part I, Volume 154, 1st quarterly index

    Orca Energy Group Provides Update on Management Cease Trade Order and Further Filing Delay

    Poilievre names new chief of staff after Ian Todd announces retirement

    Poilievre names new chief of staff after Ian Todd announces retirement