San Diego mosque shooters were being pursued by police before attack began – National


Before the first shot rang out at a San Diego mosque in a deadly shooting that would leave three men dead, police were already scrambling to find two teenagers who would ultimately be responsible.

The search began after a mother of one of the teenagers reported her son was suicidal and had run away, according to San Diego Police Chief Scott Wahl, who said weapons were missing from the home and her vehicle was gone.

Two hours later, the shooting began at the Islamic Center of San Diego, just blocks away from the home.

The suspects, ages 17 and 18, were found in a vehicle after killing themselves a few blocks from the site of the shooting.

Authorities planned to execute search warrants related to the investigation Tuesday as they piece together how and why the shooting unfolded. There was no specific threat made against the Islamic center, but authorities found evidence that the suspects engaged in “generalized hate rhetoric,” Wahl said, noting that the shooting is being investigated as a hate crime.

Story continues below advertisement


Click to play video: 'Police investigating, dub San Diego mosque shooting “hate crime” after 5 dead, including 2 suspects'


Police investigating, dub San Diego mosque shooting “hate crime” after 5 dead, including 2 suspects


The center, which said it was closed until further notice, is the largest mosque in San Diego and typically holds five daily prayers.

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you'll never miss the day's top stories.

Get daily National news

Get daily Canada news delivered to your inbox so you’ll never miss the day’s top stories.

“These were men who put themselves on the line for our masjid and our community,” the center wrote in a Facebook post, using the Arabic word for mosque. “Men of courage, sacrifice, and faith. Their absence leaves a void that can never truly be filled.”

On Monday morning, the search for the missing teen intensified as law enforcement began to gather more details. Police learned he had dressed in camouflage and was with an acquaintance.

Officers used automated license plate readers to track the car and went to a mall in the area. They also alerted a school where at least one of the teens had been a student and continued interviewing the mother, Wahl said.

Story continues below advertisement

When reports of the shooting came in, police responded within four minutes of being called. Three men were dead when they arrived, Wahl said.

Among those killed was a security guard, who police believe “played a pivotal role” in keeping the attack from being “much worse,” Wahl said.

“It’s fair to say his actions were heroic,” the chief said at a news conference. “Undoubtedly he saved lives today.”


Click to play video: '5 dead, including suspects, after San Diego mosque shooting'


5 dead, including suspects, after San Diego mosque shooting



A family friend identified the guard as Amin Abdullah, a well-known face at the mosque who had worked there for more than a decade.

“He wanted to defend the innocent so he decided to become a security guard,” said Shaykh Uthman Ibn Farooq, who spoke with Abdullah’s son.

The family could not immediately be reached for comment.

Story continues below advertisement

The center called him “a courageous man who put himself on the line of the safety of others, who even in his last moments did not stop protecting our community.”

The mosque is in a neighborhood of homes, apartments and strip malls with Middle Eastern restaurants and markets. The center includes the Al Rashid School, which offers courses in Arabic language, Islamic studies and the Quran for students ages 5 and up, according to its website.

Aerial TV footage showed more than a dozen children holding hands and being walked out of the center’s parking lot as it was surrounded by scores of police vehicles.

Imam Taha Hassane, the mosque’s director, called it “extremely outrageous to target a place of worship,” adding that the center focused on interfaith relations and community building.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations, one of the largest Muslim civil rights and advocacy groups in the U.S., condemned the shooting.

“No one should ever fear for their safety while attending prayers or studying at an elementary school,” CAIR-San Diego Executive Director Tazheen Nizam said in a statement.

U.S. President Donald Trump called the shooting a “terrible situation.”

&copy 2026 The Canadian Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Hamas memos show Canadian-funded charities worked with terror group, NGO says

    These individuals “can be exploited for security purposes, in order to infiltrate associations,” read a Dec. 14, 2022, document said to have originated from the Hamas Ministry of Interior and…

    Cottages are a ‘foothold into homeownership’ for young Canadians: survey – National

    Young Canadians are turning to recreational properties in a bid to build wealth and break into the property market, a new survey shows. Nearly half (45 per cent) of prospective…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Nat Sciver-Brunt: England have T20 World Cup fitness worry over captain

    Nat Sciver-Brunt: England have T20 World Cup fitness worry over captain

    Hamas memos show Canadian-funded charities worked with terror group, NGO says

    Flight to Argentina: How significant is it for Israel’s LatAm outreach? | Politics News

    Flight to Argentina: How significant is it for Israel’s LatAm outreach? | Politics News

    Understanding the modern cybercrime landscape

    Understanding the modern cybercrime landscape

    Subnautica 2’s EULA is so severe that even this news story breaks it

    Subnautica 2’s EULA is so severe that even this news story breaks it

    Backgrounder – Canada’s flagship initiatives to support its partnership with Africa