Veteran Regina police officer charged after database ‘improperly accessed’ – Regina


A veteran Regina police officer has been charged after the force’s internal database was “improperly accessed,” according to police.

Police claimed the officer, who has been with the service for a decade, had accessed the database on multiple occasions between 2021 and 2023.

“The officer used the database to search the complainant, as well as members of their family and friends, without a valid work purpose,” the force alleged in a news release Thursday.

The force said the police chief suspended the officer without pay, and ordered him to participate in mandatory ethics and accountability training, as well as further access and privacy training. He is also subject to ongoing random audits for a minimum of two years, police added.

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won't miss a trending story.

Get breaking National news

Get breaking Canada news delivered to your inbox as it happens so you won’t miss a trending story.

The force added that a “proactive report” was also made to the Office of the Saskatchewan Information and Privacy Commissioner. Last December, the privacy commissioner issued nine recommendations, eight of which were either already in practice or are now in progress, police said.

Story continues below advertisement

One of those recommendations was conveying the matter to the attorney general of Saskatchewan for an opinion on a non-criminal prosecution. Last week, the attorney general consented to the charge, police said.


If convicted, the officer will be subject to a fine of not more than $50,000 or imprisonment for not more than one year.

“As Chief of Police I accept this direction from the Attorney General,” Chief Lorilee Davie said in the release.

“We are committed to making meaningful improvements to our processes and oversight and to be more reflective of the expectations of the public when it comes to police accountability. This outcome sends a strong message not only to our employees but to the entire community when it comes to privacy.”

&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Riders begin Grey Cup title defence versus Lions – Calgary

    They can’t change history, but Nathan Rourke and the B.C. Lions can exorcise a few demons Saturday night. B.C. opens its season in Regina against the Roughriders. That’s also where…

    IN PHOTOS | Canadian Men’s National Soccer Team training highlights

    Sports Members of Canada’s FIFA World Cup squad take part in a training session at the Toronto FC Training Ground on Wednesday — two days before their tournament opening match…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    Trump says US to ‘substantially reduce’ military drills with South Korea | Donald Trump News

    The Co-Chairs of the International Coalition for the Return of Ukrainian Children mark the first anniversary of its launch in Kyiv

    The Co-Chairs of the International Coalition for the Return of Ukrainian Children mark the first anniversary of its launch in Kyiv

    Endeavour Silver Reports an Illegal Blockade and Suspension of Operations at its Terronera Mine

    Best AirPods Deals in 2026: AirPods 4, Pro 3 and Max on Sale Now

    Best AirPods Deals in 2026: AirPods 4, Pro 3 and Max on Sale Now

    Blanche Refuses to Say He’ll Always Be Independent of Trump as Attorney General

    Blanche Refuses to Say He’ll Always Be Independent of Trump as Attorney General

    Jack Whaley of England wins 2026 U.S. Amateur at Merion with father on his bag

    Jack Whaley of England wins 2026 U.S. Amateur at Merion with father on his bag