Labor secretary’s husband won’t face charges after being banned from Labor Dept. building, sources say


Washington — Shawn DeRemer, the husband of Labor Secretary Lori Chavez-DeRemer, will not face federal charges over allegations of assault at the department’s Washington, D.C., headquarters, multiple sources told CBS News Friday evening. 

After reviewing evidence, including security camera video, federal prosecutors have decided against charging DeRemer, the sources said.    

In a statement provided to CBS News, a spokesperson for U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia Jeanine Pirro said Friday night that “based upon the evidence presented to this office in relation to the video, there is no indication of a crime.”

Sources familiar with the situation had disclosed to CBS News earlier Friday that DeRemer had been told not to enter the department headquarters after two women who work there reported that he had touched them inappropriately. 

At least one Labor Department staff member filed a police report against DeRemer. According to a report filed with the Metropolitan Police Department and obtained by CBS News, the accuser said DeRemer had made sexual contact with her against her will on Dec. 18 at the Labor Department headquarters in D.C. 

Administration officials told DeRemer not to enter the building, and the White House was aware of the situation, sources previously said. The New York Times was first to report on the allegations against him. 

DeRemer, 57, is an anesthesiologist based in Portland, Oregon. He’s the president and executive medical director of a medical clinic and is licensed to practice medicine in several states. 

Chavez-DeRemer previously served as mayor of Happy Valley, Oregon, followed by one term as a Republican congresswoman for the state. She’s been the Labor secretary since her confirmation last March. 

CBS News has reached out to the Labor Department and DeRemer for comment. DeRemer’s office in Portland declined to comment. 



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Over 40 million Americans on alert for winter storm conditions over the weekend

    A significant nor’easter is expected to march up the East Coast on Sunday into Monday, bringing significant snow for the I-95 corridor and placing New York City under a blizzard…

    The latest GDP data isn’t as bad as it looks. Here’s what to know.

    After humming along at a robust pace for much of 2025, the economy hit a wall in the fourth quarter, with a six-week government shutdown and slowdown in consumer spending…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Over 40 million Americans on alert for winter storm conditions over the weekend

    Over 40 million Americans on alert for winter storm conditions over the weekend

    Tessa Virtue visited Milan. We asked her about skating, hockey and, obviously, Scott Moir

    Here’s How To Find Magic’s Marvel Super Heroes Collector Boosters

    Here’s How To Find Magic’s Marvel Super Heroes Collector Boosters

    Have we leapt into commercial genetic testing without understanding it?

    Have we leapt into commercial genetic testing without understanding it?

    Searching for Rejuvenation Where Skiers Chase Olympic Gold

    White House dinner closes a turbulent week for governors in Washington

    White House dinner closes a turbulent week for governors in Washington