Iran preparing nuclear counterproposal as Trump warns he is considering limited military strikes | Iran


Iran’s foreign minister has said he expects to have a draft counterproposal ready within days after nuclear talks with the US this week, while Donald Trump said he was considering limited military strikes.

Two US officials told Reuters that US military planning on Iran had reached an advanced stage, with options including targeting individuals as part of an attack and even pursuing leadership change in Tehran, if ordered by Trump.

The US president on Thursday gave Tehran a deadline of 10 to 15 days to make a deal to resolve their longstanding nuclear dispute or face “really bad things” amid a US military buildup in the Middle East that has fuelled fears of a wider war.

Asked on Friday if he was considering a limited strike to pressure Iran into a deal, Trump told reporters at the White House: “I guess I can say I am considering” it. Asked later about Iran at a White House press conference, Trump added: “They better negotiate a fair deal.”

Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araqchi, said after indirect discussions in Geneva this week with Trump’s special envoy Steve Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner that the sides had reached an understanding on main “guiding principles”, but that did not mean a deal was imminent.

Araqchi said on US cable news network MS Now that he had a draft counterproposal that could be ready in the next two or three days for top Iranian officials to review, with more US-Iran talks possible in a week or so.

Military action would complicate efforts to reach a deal, he added.

After the US and Israel bombed Iran’s nuclear facilities and some military sites in June, Trump again began threatening strikes in January as Tehran crushed widespread protests with deadly force.

Referring to the crackdown on Friday, Trump said there was a difference between the people of Iran and the country’s leadership. He asserted that “32,000 people were killed over a relatively short period of time”, figures that could not immediately be verified.

“It’s a very, very, very sad situation,” Trump said, adding that his threats to strike Iran had led the leadership to abandon plans for mass hangings two weeks ago.

“They were going to hang 837 people. And I gave them the word, if you hang one person, even one person, that you’re going to be hit right then and there,” he said.

The US-based group Hrana, which monitors the human rights situation in Iran, has recorded 7,114 verified deaths and says it has another 11,700 under review.

Hours after Trump’s statements on the death toll, Araqchi said the Iranian government had already published a “comprehensive list” of all 3,117 killed in the unrest.

“If anyone doubts the accuracy of our data, please speak with evidence,” he posted on X.

Araqchi gave no specific timing as to when Iranians would get their counterproposal to Witkoff and Kushner, but said he believed a diplomatic deal was within reach and could be achieved “in a very short period of time”.

UN spokesperson Stephane Dujarric reiterated concerns about heightened rhetoric and increased military activities in the region.

During the Geneva talks, the US did not seek zero uranium enrichment and Iran did not offer to suspend enrichment, Araqchi told MS Now.

“What we are now talking about is how to make sure that Iran’s nuclear program, including enrichment, is peaceful and would remain peaceful forever,” he said.

He added that technical and political “confidence-building measures” would be enacted to ensure the program would remain peaceful in exchange for action on sanctions, without giving further details.

Asked about Araqchi’s comments, a White House official said: “The president has been clear that Iran cannot have nuclear weapons or the capacity to build them, and that they cannot enrich uranium.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    US says 11 people killed in latest strikes on alleged drug boats | US military

    US military officials have said American forces launched assaults on three alleged drug-smuggling boats, killing 11 in one of the deadliest days of the Trump administration’s months-long campaign against alleged…

    Countries that do not embrace AI could be left behind, says OpenAI’s George Osborne | George Osborne

    The former chancellor George Osborne has said countries that do not embrace the kind of powerful AI systems made by his new employer, OpenAI, risk “Fomo” and could be left…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    B.C. greenhouse giant sues longtime manager over alleged $7.2M fraud

    B.C. greenhouse giant sues longtime manager over alleged $7.2M fraud

    Bloodlines’ Directors Zach Lipovsky and Adam B. Stein

    Bloodlines’ Directors Zach Lipovsky and Adam B. Stein

    ECB push back at Pakistan 'shadow-ban' reports ahead of Hundred auction

    US says 11 people killed in latest strikes on alleged drug boats | US military

    US says 11 people killed in latest strikes on alleged drug boats | US military

    Tesla loses bid to overturn $243M Autopilot verdict

    Tesla loses bid to overturn $243M Autopilot verdict

    Will Southwest Airlines Revert To Open Seating?

    Will Southwest Airlines Revert To Open Seating?