Trump says 10 per cent global tariff coming after Supreme Court ruling


WASHINGTON — U.S. President Donald Trump said Friday he will sign an executive order imposing a 10 per cent global tariff — and lashed out at Supreme Court justices hours after America’s top court struck down his use of an emergency legal tool to realign global trade.

“Their decision is incorrect,” Trump said. “But it doesn’t matter because we have very powerful alternatives.”

Trump said he will use Section 122 of the 1974 Trade Act to hit the world with the tariff — but that duty can only stay in place for 150 days, unless Congress votes to extend it.

Trump said the new tariff will take effect in three days.

It was not immediately clear whether the new tariff will have a carveout for goods traded under the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade, better known as CUSMA.

It also was not clear whether the new 10 per cent levy would stack on top of Trump’s separate tariffs on steel, aluminum, automobiles, lumber and furniture.

Earlier Friday, the Supreme Court said Trump could not use the International Emergency Economic Powers Act, better known as IEEPA, to hit the world with tariffs.

In a 6-3 ruling, the court concluded it was not legal for Trump to use IEEPA for his “Liberation Day” tariffs and fentanyl-related duties on Canada, Mexico and China.

The court found that the U.S. Constitution “very clearly” gives Congress power over taxes and tariffs. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote “the Framers did not vest any part of the taxing power in the Executive Branch.”

The ruling did not say whether companies hammered by those tariffs should get refunds. As of December, federal data showed $133 billion USD had been collected through the levies.

The Supreme Court’s decision “reinforces Canada’s position that the IEEPA tariffs imposed by the United States are unjustified,” said Canada-U.S. Trade Minister Dominic LeBlanc in a post on social media.

“While Canada has the best trade deal with the United States of any trading partner, we recognize that critical work lies ahead to support Canadian businesses and workers who remain affected by Section 232 tariffs on steel, aluminum and automotive sectors,” LeBlanc said.

During a 40-minute press conference which also saw Trump denigrate Europe as too “woke,” the president took aim at Canada, saying the country ripped off the U.S. and stole car plants.

Trump claimed that “Canada” told him it hoped he would win at the Supreme Court “because if you don’t win you’ll actually be able to charge us, with additional work, higher tariffs.”



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Eby says B.C. could fight lumber tariffs in U.S. courts

    VICTORIA — British Columbia Premier David Eby said a ruling by the United States Supreme Court that strikes down far-reaching global tariffs opens the door to challenge other tariffs that…

    With Tariff Changes, Consumers May Be Stuck in a Waiting Game

    Some companies could decide to temper price increases, but the effect would take time to materialize. Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Jason Momoa to star in ‘Helldivers’ for Sony

    Jason Momoa to star in ‘Helldivers’ for Sony

    The Supreme Court’s Tariff Ruling Won’t Bring Car Prices Back to Earth

    The Supreme Court’s Tariff Ruling Won’t Bring Car Prices Back to Earth

    Effortless, Romantic Spring Makeup from LoveShackFancy’s NYFW Show

    Effortless, Romantic Spring Makeup from LoveShackFancy’s NYFW Show

    Eby says B.C. could fight lumber tariffs in U.S. courts

    Eby says B.C. could fight lumber tariffs in U.S. courts

    Canada had big goals in short-track. What happened?

    With Tariff Changes, Consumers May Be Stuck in a Waiting Game