Preliminary hearing for self-proclaimed ‘Queen of Canada’ rescheduled


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

New dates have been set for the preliminary hearing for the self-proclaimed “Queen of Canada,” Romana Didulo.

Didulo is charged with failing to comply with an undertaking and intimidating a justice system participant. The charges were laid in September 2025 after a raid on a compound in the southwest Saskatchewan village of Richmound, where Didulo was living with members of her cult.

The group had been occupying a former school in the village for about two years until the RCMP conducted their raid on Sept. 3. Richmound is located about 365 kilometres west of Regina.

Didulo has elected to be tried by a jury, so a preliminary hearing must be held first. That hearing was set to begin on March 2.

However, Didulo was in Swift Current provincial court on Wednesday for pre-trial discussions, and the preliminary hearing was rescheduled to begin April 13.

One of the reasons for the delay is that the Crown prosecutor on the case, Curtis Wiebe, was appointed on Monday to be a provincial court judge in Prince Albert. That means all of his cases need to be assigned to new prosecutors.

A man wearing a blue suit stands in front of a brick building as he speaks into four microphones being held by reporters.
Curtis Wiebe is shown in a file photo from September 2025, when he was the Crown prosecutor handling Romana Didulo’s case. This week, Wiebe was appointed to be a provincial court judge. (Alexander Quon/CBC)

Didulo is scheduled to returned to court on March 4 for more pre-trial discussions.

She was among 16 people who were arrested in September. Police ultimately charged five of them, including Didulo and Ricky Manz, the owner of the former school.

Manz also has a next court date of March 4. Like Didulo, he was charged with failing to comply with an undertaking and intimidation of a justice system participant. Manz also faces charges of assault, resisting arrest and uttering threats that stem from an alleged incident in July 2025.

Obstruction charges stayed

The other three people who were charged after the police raid in September are no longer before the courts.

Each was charged with one count of obstruction for refusing to give their names to police.

On Feb. 3, the Crown stayed those charges.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Canada in good hands with Connor McDavid, on and off the ice

    “I love being his teammate,” bruising Canadian forward Tom Wilson said following Friday’s win. “(McDavid’s) one of the best players in the world. When a guy just wants to win…

    Ontario bars can open at 6 a.m. Sunday to host Team Canada watch parties

    Descrease article font size Increase article font size An hour before the sun is up in Ontario on Sunday, restaurants and bars will be allowed to start serving alcohol to…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Struck down – iPolitics

    Struck down – iPolitics

    Canada in good hands with Connor McDavid, on and off the ice

    Xbox shakeup: Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond are leaving Microsoft

    Xbox shakeup: Phil Spencer and Sarah Bond are leaving Microsoft

    Trump says 10 per cent global tariff coming after Supreme Court ruling

    Trump says 10 per cent global tariff coming after Supreme Court ruling

    Ontario bars can open at 6 a.m. Sunday to host Team Canada watch parties

    Ontario bars can open at 6 a.m. Sunday to host Team Canada watch parties

    Trump outlines new plan for tariffs after ‘deeply disappointing’ Supreme Court ruling

    Trump outlines new plan for tariffs after ‘deeply disappointing’ Supreme Court ruling