Alberta’s Smith to put immigration, Constitution questions on fall referendum


Smith announced the referendum in a televised address Thursday night, saying she’s not afraid of direct democracy and trusts the judgment of Albertans.

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith’s government is putting nine questions to a provincewide referendum on Oct. 19, including proposals to restrict social services from some immigrants.

One question asks Albertans if non-permanent residents should be charged a “reasonable” fee to access health and education systems.

Another asks for approval to cut off newcomers from social services if they don’t fall under “Alberta approved immigration status.” The question doesn’t define what that status means.

Other questions delve into the Constitution, asking whether Alberta should open negotiations with the rest of Canada to abolish the Senate and to give provinces the power to appoint superior court judges.

Smith announced the referendum in a televised address Thursday night, saying she’s not afraid of direct democracy and trusts the judgment of Albertans.

“I know that as a province we will thoughtfully ponder, debate and ultimately come to a wise decision on these questions that will benefit our families and our fellow Albertans for generations, just as we’ve always done,” she said.

Smith blamed former prime minister Justin Trudeau for “disastrous” open-border immigration policies that have strained health care and education.

She said rapid population growth and slagging oil prices have put an unsustainable strain on the province’s finances.

The provincial budget is to be tabled next Thursday, and Smith has said significant deficits are coming.

The October referendum, a year before the province’s scheduled general election, could feature a long ballot.

Last year, Smith promised a referendum on separation in 2026 if citizens gathered the required number of signatures on a petition.

One citizen-led petition to be put to lawmakers this spring could lead to a referendum vote on making it a provincial policy that Alberta stay in Canada.

Another petition effort, with a deadline for signatures in early May, seeks a referendum question about pulling the province out of Confederation.

Smith said Thursday that strengthening Alberta’s “constitutional and fiscal position within a united Canada” and immigration were the biggest issues her Alberta Next panel heard as it toured the province last year.

One of the issues tabled for debate was whether Alberta should withhold social services from some immigrants.

The panel was propped up by calls from in-person attendees who at times called for mass deportations.

In January, Smith’s United Conservative Party government walked back what it called a “premature” decision to cut off temporary foreign workers from provincial health-care coverage, including those who had already obtained work permits.

The ministry in charge said at the time the move was on pause pending review.

On Wednesday, Smith’s chief of staff, Rob Anderson, reposted a social media infographic about immigration numbers and invited readers to watch the premier’s televised address.

“This absolute insanity needs to stop. It will,” he wrote.

The executive director of the premier’s office, Bruce McAllister, also pointed to the same social media post to sound off on population growth.

“Why import from nations with failed systems when our Judeo-Christian heritage and principles have worked so well here? It almost feels like these elites are ashamed of what built this great country,” wrote McAllister.

Smith was asked Wednesday if her government shared McAllister’s values. She didn’t directly answer but said western society is based on “the Socratic Judeo-Christian tradition.”

“However, Alberta was also created since 1905 based on the immense diaspora communities that come here,” she said.

She said the federal government has made changes to refocus on economic migrants and that the previous system “broke.”

“It was the No. 1 issue that we heard,” she said, referring to the Alberta Next panel.

Rakhi Pancholi, deputy leader of the Opposition NDP, said in a statement that Smith’s address will not solve the problems that plague the underfunded education and health-care systems, and that Smith’s government has mismanaged Alberta’s finances.

“Smith will distract, scapegoat and play the blame game. She will not be accountable for the issues Albertans are facing — problems she and her government created.”

In Alberta, discontent about the Senate appointment process have been simmering for decades, but the issue has not been at the forefront for Smith lately.

Former premier Jason Kenney put it to Albertans to vote for nominees in a non-binding ballot in 2021. None of those nominees have been appointed to the Senate by the federal government.

In recent months, Smith has been unreserved in her criticism of the courts.

She has called them “activist” and railed against “unelected” judges, arguing that elected officials have the final say as part of her belief in parliamentary supremacy.

Her government invoked the Charter’s notwithstanding clause four times in the fall to shield its laws from court challenges, one of many moves critics have said undermine the rule of law.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    N.S. finance minister expected to cut spending in next week’s provincial budget

    HALIFAX — Nova Scotians are bracing for government spending cuts as Finance Minister John Lohr gets set to deliver his budget on Monday for the new fiscal year. Lohr said…

    Virginia Democrats pass map that could flip 4 US House seats, if courts and voters approve

    RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Democrats passed a new congressional map through the Virginia legislature on Friday that aims to help their party win four more seats in the national redistricting…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    How to Save $20 on Xenoblade Chronicles X for Nintendo Switch 2

    How to Save $20 on Xenoblade Chronicles X for Nintendo Switch 2

    Source: Cignetti’s salary now averages $13.2M through 2033

    Source: Cignetti’s salary now averages $13.2M through 2033

    Majority of Americans disapprove of how Trump is handling tariffs: ABC/Post/Ipsos poll

    Majority of Americans disapprove of how Trump is handling tariffs: ABC/Post/Ipsos poll

    How to get the IHG fourth-night-free benefit

    How to get the IHG fourth-night-free benefit

    U.S. Supreme Court strikes down Trump's use of emergencies law for tariffs

    U.S. Supreme Court strikes down Trump's use of emergencies law for tariffs

    Andrew under investigation: what’s next for the former prince? – The Latest | Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor

    Andrew under investigation: what’s next for the former prince? – The Latest | Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor