Ukraine Paralympians to boycott opening ceremony


Ukraine’s Winter Paralympics team will boycott the event’s opening ceremony next month after Russian and Belarusian athletes were invited to compete under their national flags.

On Tuesday, it was announced six Russian and four Belarusian athletes will take part in alpine skiing, cross-country skiing and snowboarding at the Milan-Cortina Games, which start on 6 March.

Both countries had previously been suspended from Paralympic competition after Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in 2022, with Belarus an ally of Russia.

In September, the International Paralympic Committee (IPC) lifted its ban on athletes from the two countries competing at the Games.

However, the IPC does not govern the six sports contested at the Paralympics and despite the individual bodies, including the International Ski and Snowboard Federation (FIS), refusing to lift their own bans, Russia and Belarus won an appeal to the Court of Arbitration of Sport against FIS.

As a result, athletes have been able to return to FIS competitions and the 10 Paralympians have been awarded bipartite commission invitations to compete in Italy.

Following an announcement that Ukrainian officials would avoid the entire competition, the country’s National Paralympic Committee now says team members will miss the opening ceremony.

The organisation has also made a “demand that the Ukrainian flag not be used”.

The team will still compete in the Games and “fight for the sporting victories of Ukrainian athletes”.

Earlier this week in its response to criticism over the decision to allow the Russian and Belarussian athletes to compete, the IPC said it was a “democratic organisation and the decision to lift the partial suspension of NPCs Belarus and Russia was taken by IPC member organisations at the 2025 General Assembly”.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    ‘Shows I’m human’ – Toney actually misses penalty… then hits hat-trick

    It felt a genuine “where were you?” moment. On Thursday night at Prince Abdullah Al Faisal Stadium in Jeddah, 37 minutes into Al Ahli’s Roshn Saudi League clash with Al…

    T20 World Cup: England batter Jos Buttler will not bat for himself to correct poor form

    Buttler’s last major contribution for England was 83 from 30 balls against South Africa in September but, given his illustrious career, his place in England’s XI remains secure. He scored…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    With ‘Tremendous’ Deals at Stake, Trump Is Bringing Russia in From the Cold

    ‘Shows I’m human’ – Toney actually misses penalty… then hits hat-trick

    ‘Shows I’m human’ – Toney actually misses penalty… then hits hat-trick

    Gold Pushes Above $5,000 With Middle East Tensions to the Fore

    Gold Pushes Above $5,000 With Middle East Tensions to the Fore

    Eric Dane, Grey’s Anatomy and Euphoria star, dies aged 53 | Television

    Eric Dane, Grey’s Anatomy and Euphoria star, dies aged 53 | Television

    Sony is closing the studio behind the Demon’s Souls and Shadow of the Colossus remakes

    Sony is closing the studio behind the Demon’s Souls and Shadow of the Colossus remakes

    Why EU trade ministers are unlikely to solve steel industry’s tariff woes

    Why EU trade ministers are unlikely to solve steel industry’s tariff woes