Judge dismisses ex-NYPD commissioner’s lawsuit alleging ‘systemic corruption’ in police department


NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge has dismissed a lawsuit filed by New York City’s former interim police commissioner that accused the previous mayor, Eric Adams, and his top deputies of operating the NYPD as a “criminal enterprise.”

The racketeering lawsuit was originally filed in July by Thomas Donlon, a longtime FBI official appointed by Adams to stabilize the scandal-scarred police department.

Instead, Donlon said he encountered “systemic corruption and criminal conduct” enabled by Adams and his allies, who routinely inflated overtime, blocked internal investigations and punished whistleblowers.

In a ruling Wednesday, Judge Denise Cote said the alleged misconduct did not meet the definition of racketeering activity because the lawsuit did not describe the defendants acting with “a common purpose.”

A spokesperson for the city’s Law Department said they were “pleased the court agreed there was no legal basis for this case to continue.” An inquiry to Adams’ spokesperson was not returned.

John Scola, an attorney for Donlon, said his client had already appealed the decision.

“Mr. Donlon confronted corruption within the NYPD’s highest ranks and was forced out for refusing to engage in illegal conduct,” Scola said. “We are confident the Second Circuit will allow his claims to proceed.”

Donlon was appointed by Adams following the resignation of the previous police commissioner, Edward Caban, whose phone was seized by federal officials as part of a sprawling probe into the administration.

He served as the interim commissioner for about two months, and was later replaced by Jessica Tisch, who continues to lead the department.

Donlon’s lawsuit was one of several filed by veteran police officials that described a culture of rampant corruption and cronyism within the department under Adams.

In recent weeks, federal prosecutors have also brought multiple bribery cases against former police officials who served under Adams.

Jake Offenhartz, The Associated Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Clearview AI loses B.C. appeal of findings over facial recognition privacy breaches

    VANCOUVER — The British Columbia Court of Appeal has dismissed a bid by U.S. facial recognition firm Clearview AI to overturn findings that the company is subject to Canadian privacy…

    Developer faces questions at public inquiry about money given to Winnipeg officials

    WINNIPEG — A developer rejected suggestions Thursday that money he gave to two Winnipeg city officials was a thank you for getting a contract for the city’s new police headquarters.…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    2026 Genesis Invitational leaderboard: Rory McIlroy stellar, Scottie Scheffler not

    2026 Genesis Invitational leaderboard: Rory McIlroy stellar, Scottie Scheffler not

    First Class Deportations? ICE Wants A $70M Luxury Boeing 737 MAX

    First Class Deportations? ICE Wants A $70M Luxury Boeing 737 MAX

    Google Rolls Out Latest AI Model, Gemini 3.1 Pro

    Google Rolls Out Latest AI Model, Gemini 3.1 Pro

    What is Republic and its role in arrest of former prince Andrew?

    Clearview AI loses B.C. appeal of findings over facial recognition privacy breaches

    Clearview AI loses B.C. appeal of findings over facial recognition privacy breaches

    Alectra crews continue 24/7 line “washing blitz” to prevent more power outages this weekend