Bank of Canada orders tip manager XTM to halt payments as B.C. restaurants’ money missing


The Bank of Canada announced on Tuesday that it has issued a temporary order to XTM Inc. to immediately cease performing any retail payment activities.

This comes after more people in the hospitality industry across B.C. are coming forward about tips disappearing from the third-party program that manages them.

XTM provides a payment service for restaurant owners to gather and distribute tips to staff using pre-paid cards through a platform called Everyday, previously called AnyDay.

In early February, members of B.C.’s hospitality industry started reporting that the company stopped distributing money and some were missing thousands of dollars.

Eric Griffith, owner of Alta Bistro and Alpha Cafe in Whistler, told Global News they were missing $4,500.

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Get breaking National news

For news impacting Canada and around the world, sign up for breaking news alerts delivered directly to you when they happen.

Matthew Upton, one of the owners of The Broken Seal restaurant in Squamish, told Global News they are missing $12,000.

Story continues below advertisement

Dan Webster with Container Brewing in East Vancouver said they are missing $3,100.

The Bank of Canada said in a statement that the order applies to XTM and its affiliated entities and “prohibits XTM or its affiliates from conducting any transactions or withdrawals from accounts associated with the AnyDay platform.

“The Bank issued this order under section 94 (4) of the Retail Payment Activities Act (RPAA). The Bank has serious concerns that XTM failed to safeguard client funds in its possession and has reason to believe that allowing XTM to continue to perform retail payment activities could be prejudicial to the public’s interest.”

CEO of Toronto-based XTM, Marilyn Schaffer, did not answer multiple emails from Global News last week about what happened to the funds from the B.C. restaurants and when merchants might get their money back.


Click to play video: 'Restaurants missing tips from third-party program'


Restaurants missing tips from third-party program


&copy 2026 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Boss of BAE Systems urges ministers to publish delayed military spending plan | Defence policy

    The boss of Britain’s biggest defence company has urged ministers to publish a long-delayed blueprint for military spending as soon as possible, as it posted record sales driven by a…

    Doug Ford's changes to university funding is good news for universities and terrible news for poor students

    Changes to post-secondary financing are being funded by cuts to OSAP. Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Carney hits the B.C. hustings as McGuinty drops by Seaspan shipyard to ‘see progress’ on joint support ships

    Carney hits the B.C. hustings as McGuinty drops by Seaspan shipyard to ‘see progress’ on joint support ships

    How Two Zoomers Created RentAHuman, the First Marketplace for Bots to Hire Humans

    How Two Zoomers Created RentAHuman, the First Marketplace for Bots to Hire Humans

    PSA: Subnautica And Subnautica: Below Zero Switch 2 Upgrades Now Available

    PSA: Subnautica And Subnautica: Below Zero Switch 2 Upgrades Now Available

    T20 World Cup: ‘Australia’s muddled thinking behind early exit’

    T20 World Cup: ‘Australia’s muddled thinking behind early exit’

    Ada Launches the Industry’s First Unified Reasoning Engine, A Single Intelligence Layer to Power Agentic Customer Experiences in Any Channel

    Boss of BAE Systems urges ministers to publish delayed military spending plan | Defence policy

    Boss of BAE Systems urges ministers to publish delayed military spending plan | Defence policy