B.C. Police watchdog considering investigation of Tumbler Ridge mass shooting


Text to Speech Icon

Listen to this article

Estimated 2 minutes

The audio version of this article is generated by AI-based technology. Mispronunciations can occur. We are working with our partners to continually review and improve the results.

The Independent Investigations Office of B.C. (IIO) says it is considering whether to investigate police action connected to the Tumbler Ridge mass shooting.

“The IIO was notified by the RCMP and has assigned investigators to assess evidence in order to determine whether our mandate is met before beginning a full investigation,” said IIO Chief Civilian Director Jessica Berglund in a statement.

The police watchdog says it is looking into whether there is a connection between the deaths and injuries and officers’ action or inaction.

It says if it is determined that there is no connection, it will not proceed with the investigation but if the conditions are met, it will “examine all available evidence to determine what occurred.”

Eight people were killed on Feb. 10 when 18-year-old Jesse Van Rootselaar first shot her mother and half-brother at home before opening fire at Tumbler Ridge Secondary School, killing five students aged 12 and 13, and a female education assistant.

Van Rootselaar died by suicide after police arrived at the school.

Last week B.C. RCMP Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald said that over the last few years police had attended Van Rootselaar’s home for mental health-related calls. He said some of the calls dealt with weapons.

It’s unclear if the scope of the IIO’s mandate includes interactions police had with the shooter before the killings.

A spokesperson for the IIO said in an email to CBC News that the agency is unable to comment on the specifics of the incident but that necessary evidence will be considered.

The IIO is a civilian-led police oversight agency formed to increase public confidence in police oversight, accountability and transparency in policing.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    New information on colour of babysitter's wagon brought forward in Nathaniel McLellan case

    Wagon’s colour has come up frequently in the manslaughter trial, and relates to the credibility of witnesses recalling information from 10 years ago. Source link

    Two big wins and Canadian curlers are done talking about double-touch controversy

    CORTINA D’AMPEZZO, Italy — After a pair of big Olympic curling wins, Team Canada’s curlers are done talking about it. Read More Source link

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    New information on colour of babysitter's wagon brought forward in Nathaniel McLellan case

    New information on colour of babysitter's wagon brought forward in Nathaniel McLellan case

    Tesla dodges 30-day suspension in California after removing Autopilot

    Tesla dodges 30-day suspension in California after removing Autopilot

    Blade Angels take to the ice, Malinin opens up on Day 11

    Blade Angels take to the ice, Malinin opens up on Day 11

    Phillips scores 'effortless' unbeaten 76 against Canada

    Phillips scores 'effortless' unbeaten 76 against Canada

    Two big wins and Canadian curlers are done talking about double-touch controversy

    House Plans to Vote on Air Safety Bill After Report on Deadly D.C. Crash