Tricia McLaughlin, top Homeland Security spokeswoman, leaving her post


Tricia McLaughlin, the Department of Homeland Security’s top spokeswoman, is leaving her post next week.

As the chief spokesperson of the federal agency spearheading President Trump’s mass deportation campaign, McLaughlin has been prolific on social media and in the press defending the Trump administration’s immigration policies.

McLaughlin confirmed her exit in a statement, and said current DHS spokesperson Lauren Bis will take over her role as the agency’s assistant secretary for public affairs. McLaughlin added that Katie Zacharia, a commentator who has appeared on Fox News, will be brought onto DHS’s communications team as deputy assistant secretary.

A source familiar with McLaughlin’s plans said her departure was planned in December, and that she delayed it following the fatal shooting of two U.S. citizens in Minneapolis by federal immigration officers.

Her departure was first reported by Politico earlier Tuesday.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a post on X that McLaughlin “has played an instrumental role in advancing our mission to secure the homeland and keep Americans safe.”

“While we are sad to see her leave, we are grateful for her service and wish Tricia nothing but success,” Noem wrote.

McLaughlin said in her statement: “I am immensely proud of the team we built and the historic accomplishments achieved by this Administration and the Department of Homeland Security.”

DHS oversees the two federal agencies enforcing Mr. Trump’s deportation blitz: Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection.

Since joining the administration, McLaughlin has become one of the most visible and vocal defenders of Mr. Trump’s deportation efforts, appearing regularly on Fox News and other television networks and posting statements on X to criticize detractors of his nationwide crackdown on illegal immigration.

McLaughlin’s imminent exit comes as the Trump administration faces escalating political backlash over its aggressive immigration enforcement operations. That backlash intensified in recent weeks, amid public outcry over an unprecedented deployment of federal immigration agents to Minnesota and the killings of Minneapolis residents Reene Good and Alex Pretti by ICE and CBP officers, respectively.

Last week, White House border czar Tom Homan announced the large-scale deployment of ICE and Border Patrol agents in Minneapolis would conclude.

Recent polling has indicated a shift in public opinion on immigration enforcement. A CBS News poll in January found that Americans’ support for Mr. Trump’s deportation campaign had fallen to 46%, down from 59% at the start of his administration. The poll also found 61% of those surveyed believe immigration agents are being “too tough.” 



Source link

  • Related Posts

    2/17: CBS Evening News – CBS News

    2/17: CBS Evening News – CBS News Watch CBS News Blinding dust storm leads to deadly pileup on Colorado highway; The “crying horse” toy taking over China’s internet Source link

    Boneless Wings Are Still Wings, Judge Rules

    A Chicago man filed a lawsuit in 2023 against Buffalo Wild Wings, arguing that it had engaged in false advertising of its boneless wings. A judge said the claim “has…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Google’s AI search results will make links more obvious

    Google’s AI search results will make links more obvious

    Tuesday Night Cat Blogging

    Tuesday Night Cat Blogging

    Quebec looks into changing law to hold SAAQ officials liable for online platform failure

    Quebec looks into changing law to hold SAAQ officials liable for online platform failure

    Vinicius Junior: Jose Mourinho’s ‘big mistake’ after ‘disgusting’ incident

    Vinicius Junior: Jose Mourinho’s ‘big mistake’ after ‘disgusting’ incident

    Wealthy Americans top ‘golden visa’ surge in New Zealand and applications from China double | New Zealand

    Wealthy Americans top ‘golden visa’ surge in New Zealand and applications from China double | New Zealand

    Santos to Cut Workforce by 10% After Slump in Annual Profit