Anderson Cooper to depart “60 Minutes” at end of season, with multiple stories still to run


Anderson Cooper is leaving CBS News’ “60 Minutes” at the end of this season after 20 years with the celebrated newsmagazine. He’ll still report multiple stories in production for “60 Minutes” before the season ends in May, according to the show.

Cooper, who is also a primetime anchor on CNN, said in a statement that he decided to leave his role at CBS to spend more time with his children.

“Being a correspondent at ’60 Minutes’ has been one of the highlights of my career. I got to tell amazing stories, and work with some of the best producers, editors and camera crews in the business,” Cooper said. “For nearly twenty years, I’ve been able to balance my jobs at CNN and CBS, but I have little kids now and I want to spend as much time with them as possible, while they want to spend time with me.”

CBS News expressed gratitude for his work on the long-running program.

Anderson Cooper

Anderson Cooper

Michele Crowe/CBS Broadcasting Inc.


“For more than two decades, Anderson Cooper has taken ’60 Minutes’ viewers on journeys to faraway places, told us unforgettable stories, reported consequential investigations and interviewed many prominent figures,” CBS News said in a statement. “We’re grateful to him for dedicating so much of his life to this broadcast, and understand the importance of spending more time with family. ’60 Minutes’ will be here if he ever wants to return.”

Cooper appeared on Sunday’s broadcast of “60 Minutes,” introducing a short video essay from documentary filmmaker Ken Burns about what he thinks would surprise America’s Founding Fathers about the U.S. ahead of its 250th anniversary.

Cooper started working as a correspondent for “60 Minutes” in the 2006-2007 television season through an agreement between CBS News and CNN. He previously contributed stories to “60 Minutes II,” a onetime spinoff of the broadcast.

His departure follows a tumultuous time for “60 Minutes,” which premiered in 1968. Last spring, the show’s third executive producer in its history, Bill Owens, left the network, saying it has “become clear that I would not be allowed to run the show as I have always run it.”

Owens’ exit came while “60 Minutes” was at the center of a lawsuit that President Trump filed against Paramount, the parent company of CBS News, during the 2024 presidential campaign over the broadcast’s interview with Vice President Kamala Harris, the Democratic nominee.

Paramount ultimately settled with Mr. Trump last summer for $16 million. The settlement didn’t include an apology. The chair of Paramount’s board at the time, Shari Redstone, had recused herself from talks about the settlement as the Federal Communications Commission was reviewing a merger between Paramount and David Ellison’s Skydance Media.

A few weeks after the settlement, the FCC cleared the way for the merger to move forward.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Tricia McLaughlin, top Homeland Security spokeswoman, leaving her post

    Tricia McLaughlin, the Department of Homeland Security’s top spokeswoman, is leaving her post next week. As the chief spokesperson of the federal agency spearheading President Trump’s mass deportation campaign, McLaughlin…

    Jesse Jackson’s Hometown Remembers Him as a ‘Superstar’

    Mr. Jackson often spoke about Greenville, S.C., in his speeches, returning home several times to fight for change — and for a slice of his favorite banana cream pie. Source…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt Trade Blows in Latest AI Slop Video, and Hollywood Won’t Stand for It

    Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt Trade Blows in Latest AI Slop Video, and Hollywood Won’t Stand for It

    Amber Glenn lands triple axel but misses different trick

    Amber Glenn lands triple axel but misses different trick

    US judge blocks deportation of Palestinian activist Mohsen Mahdawi | US immigration

    US judge blocks deportation of Palestinian activist Mohsen Mahdawi | US immigration

    UPDATE – Wednesday, February 18, 2026

    UPDATE – Wednesday, February 18, 2026

    Tricia McLaughlin, top Homeland Security spokeswoman, leaving her post

    Tricia McLaughlin, top Homeland Security spokeswoman, leaving her post

    Behold, the story of the Fed balance sheet in a single chart

    Behold, the story of the Fed balance sheet in a single chart