Trump’s border czar confirms ‘small’ security force will remain in Minnesota – National


White House border czar Tom Homan said Sunday that more than 1,000 immigration agents have left Minnesota’s Twin Cities area and hundreds more will depart in the days ahead as part of the Trump administration’s drawdown of its immigration enforcement surge.

A “small” security force will stay for a short period to protect remaining immigration agents and will respond “when our agents are out and they get surrounded by agitators and things got out of control,” Homan told CBS’ Face the Nation. He did not define “small.”

He also said agents will keep investigating fraud allegations as well as the anti-immigration enforcement protest that disrupted a service at a church service.

“We already removed well over 1,000 people, and as of Monday, Tuesday, we’ll remove several hundred more,” Homan said. “We’ll get back to the original footprint.”

Story continues below advertisement

Thousands of officers were sent to the Minneapolis and St. Paul area for U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement’s “Operation Metro Surge.” The Department of Homeland Security said it was its largest immigration enforcement operation ever and proved successful. But the crackdown came under increasing criticism as the situation grew more volatile and two U.S. citizens were killed.

Protests became common. A network of residents worked to help immigrants, warn of approaching agents or film immigration officers’ actions. The shooting deaths of Renee Good and Alex Pretti by federal officers drew condemnation and raised questions over officers’ conduct, prompting changes to the operation.

Get the day's top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Get daily National news

Get the day’s top news, political, economic, and current affairs headlines, delivered to your inbox once a day.

Homan announced last week that 700 federal officers would leave Minnesota immediately, but that still left more than 2,000 in the state. He said Thursday that a “significant drawdown” was already underway and would continue through this week.

Story continues below advertisement

Homan said enforcement would not stop in the Twin Cities and that mass deportations will continue across the country. Officers leaving Minnesota will report back to their stations or be assigned elsewhere.

When asked if future deployments could match the scale of the Twin Cities operation, Homan said “it depends on the situation.”


&copy 2026 The Canadian Press



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Swedish broadcaster dismisses curling video ‘conspiracy theories’

    “It’s correct that SVT filmed the sequence with Team Canada,” the Swedish station’s head of sports, Max Bursell, said in an email to Postmedia, days after video of Canadian third…

    Toronto police make 2 arrests related to weekend rally to support Iran protests – Toronto

    By Staff The Canadian Press Posted February 16, 2026 11:08 am 1 min read Descrease article font size Increase article font size Toronto police say they have made two arrests…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Max Naumov honors late parents with Olympic skate

    Max Naumov honors late parents with Olympic skate

    Assassin’s Creed Shadows winter roadmap includes community parkour and Switch 2 Claws of Awaji release date

    Assassin’s Creed Shadows winter roadmap includes community parkour and Switch 2 Claws of Awaji release date

    Rubio seeks to boost Hungary’s Orban as he faces toughest election in years

    Swedish broadcaster dismisses curling video ‘conspiracy theories’

    Trial Begins for Father of Teen Charged in Georgia School Shooting

    The Vatican introduces an AI-assisted live translation service

    The Vatican introduces an AI-assisted live translation service