B.C. backtracks on plan to cut pipeline tax values, saving ratepayers


VICTORIA — British Columbia’s finance minister says there will be no changes in the tax assessments for pipelines running through communities after an outcry from a local government that said such a plan would have cost taxpayers millions.

The Thompson-Nicola Regional District raised the concern earlier this year that BC Assessment had planned to slash the value of the pipelines by $300 million in its district alone, which in turn would lower the company’s taxes.

The district said its residents and businesses, as well as those in other communities where the pipeline runs, would have had to make up millions in lost revenue through increased taxes.

Finance Minister Brenda Bailey said in a statement Thursday that she knows communities have been worried about the changes and, after further consideration and talks with Assessment BC, the rates valuation for pipelines will not change for 2026.

The Thompson-Nicola Regional District says in a statement that it has been leading the way in advocating the reversal after first learning of the implications, and it is grateful that its suggestions have been heard.

District board chair and Ashcroft Mayor Barbara Roden says it’s very good news for the many regional districts and municipalities that were dealing with the impacts of the proposed changes.

“It’s especially good news for other property classes — particularly residential and business — which would have had to shoulder the burden of the proposed changes,” she says in the statement.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Dec. 18, 2025.

The Canadian Press




Source link

  • Related Posts

    Canada Gazette – Part I, August 11, 2025, volume 159, extra number 15

    The Canada Gazette, Part I, consists of a weekly issue, published every Saturday; a quarterly index, published every three months; and extra editions, published only when required under special circumstances…

    Choosing Bits from the Bible

    This post from the U.S. Secretary of War, Pete Hegseth is just distracting fluff, but it’s such a curious collection that I want to give it a second look (video…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    US military says it attacked vessel in Pacific Ocean, killing three people | Donald Trump News

    US military says it attacked vessel in Pacific Ocean, killing three people | Donald Trump News

    NASA Admits Fault in Starliner Test Flight, Classifies It as ‘Type A’ Mishap

    NASA Admits Fault in Starliner Test Flight, Classifies It as ‘Type A’ Mishap

    Canada Gazette – Part I, August 11, 2025, volume 159, extra number 15

    Tucker Carlson, Mike Huckabee debate Israel’s right to land in Middle East

    The Cannabist Company Further Extends Forbearance Agreement With Senior Noteholders

    US military strikes another alleged drug boat in eastern Pacific, killing 3

    US military strikes another alleged drug boat in eastern Pacific, killing 3