Andy Burnham seeks advice from Sue Gray on forming future Labour government | Politics


Andy Burnham has sought advice from Baroness Sue Gray, Keir Starmer’s former chief of staff, on how to manage a potential transition into Downing Street if he returns to Westminster and succeeds the prime minister.

Gray is understood to have advised Burnham on how a future government could be formed as Labour’s internal succession chatter intensifies before the Makerfield byelection.

The discussions highlight how seriously senior Labour figures are treating Burnham’s path back to Westminster, after weeks of speculation surrounding Starmer’s long-term future after a bruising set of local election results.

Burnham and Gray are understood to have known each other for decades, going back to his time as a minister within Tony Blair’s government while Gray was in the Cabinet Office. It is understood that Gray is not expected to take any formal role in a future government.

Gray resigned from Downing Street in October 2024, after hostile briefings and tensions within Starmer’s operation over her role. Gray was accused of alienating some of her political colleagues, who accused her of “control freakery”, and creating a bottle neck in No 10 that delayed policy decisions and appointments.

Allies of Burnham said he remains focused on the Makerfield byelection, likely to be a pivotal moment for the Labour party’s future direction and Burnham’s political trajectory.

Darren Jones, the chief secretary to the Treasury, criticised the internal jockeying, telling the BBC’s Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg show: “There’s a lot of fantasy politics going on right now inside the Labour party … in terms of who is up, who is down, who will be in what position.”

He said a debate inside the Labour party “has to happen off the back of bad local election results”, but that must not distract from “our primary focus on the country”.

“I’m all up for having a debate inside the Labour party about how we improve our electoral performance in the years ahead, because we don’t want to hand the country to Reform,” Jones said.

Jones, a senior ally of Starmer, called Burnham a “brilliant politician” and confirmed he would be campaigning for him in Makerfield.

But he added: “Irrespective of individual ambitions from any of my colleagues, the big questions the country faces are still the big questions the country faces. There’s no magic answer to any of them, because if there was we would have implemented it.”

The pressure on Labour has intensified with a Survation survey published this week showing Labour remained on course to win the seat, but with Reform UK running very close in what would have once been considered safe Labour territory. The polling put Burnham for Labour on 43%, with Robert Kenyon for Reform UK on 40%.

A More in Common survey published last week put Labour on 30% nationally under Burnham’s leadership, only slightly ahead of Reform UK on 27% and the Tories on 20%.

Senior Labour figures have been pictured rallying support for Burnham’s campaign in Makerfield. Wes Streeting, widely viewed as a potential rival contender in any future leadership race, campaigned for Burnham over the weekend, alongside Labour’s deputy leader Lucy Powell. The chief whip Jonathan Reynolds, still seen as an ally of Starmer, was also spotted holding a Burnham for Makerfield poster last week.

The show of support comes after Streeting sought to position himself while setting out his own vision for Labour’s future. The former health secretary has argued for a “wealth tax that works” and also called for a “proper contest” over Labour’s direction, insisting he could win a future leadership contest.

Over the past week, Burnham has continued to distance himself from calls for Britain to rejoin the EU – a stance he has repeated since the last Labour conference, and argued for greater public control over transport, housing and energy.



Source link

  • Related Posts

    Over $5M in donations flowed in after the Lapu-Lapu Day attack. Here’s where it went

    Millions of dollars in donations flowed in after last year’s car-ramming attack at the Lapu-Lapu Day Festival in Vancouver that killed 11 and injured dozens. A CBC News analysis found…

    Russia hits Kyiv with hypersonic ballistic missile in ‘deranged attack’ | Ukraine

    Russia used its powerful hypersonic Oreshnik ballistic missile for a third time in Ukraine as part of a massive attack on Kyiv and its surrounding region that killed at least…

    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You Missed

    Over $5M in donations flowed in after the Lapu-Lapu Day attack. Here’s where it went

    Over $5M in donations flowed in after the Lapu-Lapu Day attack. Here’s where it went

    Do You Own an Android Phone? Claim a Part of Google’s $135M Data Harvesting Settlement Soon

    Do You Own an Android Phone? Claim a Part of Google’s $135M Data Harvesting Settlement Soon

    A Scrapped Boeing 747’s Airframe Is Worth Less Than A Single Piece Of Its Landing Gear

    A Scrapped Boeing 747’s Airframe Is Worth Less Than A Single Piece Of Its Landing Gear

    Use BetMGM bonus code CBSSPORTS to get $1,500 in bonus bets for Knicks-Cavaliers, Hurricanes-Canadiens tonight

    Use BetMGM bonus code CBSSPORTS to get $1,500 in bonus bets for Knicks-Cavaliers, Hurricanes-Canadiens tonight

    Announcement of new diplomatic appointments

    Analysis-US Treasury rout tests Washington’s tolerance for higher borrowing costs

    Analysis-US Treasury rout tests Washington’s tolerance for higher borrowing costs